Resin fixing

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Spearjig
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Resin fixing

Post by Spearjig »

Ive used resin on a small scale and just used ordinary plastic glue, but Im thinking about resin Zimmerite for a tiger 2. What adhesive would be suitable and give me a bit flexibility in terms of setting times and movement?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Resin fixing

Post by JamesPerrin »

Plastic glue won't bond to resin, you really need to use superglue. The thicker gel type will give you more time for positioning, but we are still talking a few seconds. The small tubes you can get from the high street work well - I find the hobby orientated superglues expensive and sold in (relatively) large bottles means most dries up before you ever use it.

It's best to practice locating the part first, mark the position with pencil or even added some guides made from tape or blue tack can help.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I find that Bondloc High Viscosity Superglue is prefect for resin. It comes in a big bottle and very inexpensive, (0.49p for 20g from Maplins) and unlike many others it doesn't dry out or gunge up the nozzle. I'm still on the same bottle I bought over a year ago and it's still going strong.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

Well beside CA white glue will work too but that needs hours to dry out.

What also works is to fix the part with blue tack and then let super thin ca run under the part. I apply this super thin ca with a cut needle, a sewing needle with the head cut of so you have a kind of fork in the end, hope this makes sense.

The thin CA I use is the cheap one in tubes, one can buy it here for 2,-€ for 5 tubes
Cheers
Martin
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by carlos »

malepo wrote:....sewing needle with the head cut off so you have a kind of fork in the end...
On a side note.. I use the same thing, but fixed into a pin-vice point first... as a tool for removing the spring-bars of watch-straps :mrgreen:
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2

Return to “Construction Tips”