sanding board

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

sanding board

Post by rob_van_riel »

With the vacform GB coming up soon, I started looking at the tools many builders use. One thing that props up often is a sanding board, usually a sheet of sandpaper stuck to a plank. Good idea, but how do you make one of those? OK, making one is easy, just add glue, but the problem I see is that sooner rather than later that sandpaper is going to wear out, at which point I'd like to have a way to get it off the wood with relative ease, so I can stick on a new sheet. How does one fix a sheet of sandpaper to a plank in a way that is both sturdy, preferably waterproof, and yet reversible?
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: sanding board

Post by lancfan »

Use double sided carpet tape rob, when the paper is worn soften the glue with lighter petrol and peel the paper and tape off ready for a new sheet of sandpaper.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

You can get adhesive backed sheets almost anywhere. Perfect for flat or shaped blocks.
Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

I use double sided tape to stick wet & dry paper to a bit of board, on both sides. I have a few of different grades. As each wears out it becomes a lesser grade. So far I haven't thrown one away as even the most worn is just a very fine grade now.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm not that high-tech with glue. I just use a staple gun in the four corners of the sheet. Here are two I use, note how they fit neatly onto the arms of a comfy outdoor chair.

Note the variety of grit and mix of big sheets, small sheets, and a split belt sander. I use these for both vac-form and resin.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Construction Tips”