repairs

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
jetli
starter kit

repairs

Post by jetli »

I live in Japan. And earthquakes are a big problem. The last major earthquake left me with a log of broken struts, and undercarriages. Worse, on cleaning up the mess, I discovered that some parts were missing. For example, a propeller blade for Hasegawa's XF5U-1. I contacted Hasegawa here in Japan. Yes, they can send me a new one -- for about $20.00! Then there is the missing left undercarriage of my 1/72 Airfix Buffalo. The doors I could scratchbuild but the wheel and undercarriage strut? Ummm... maybe not. On the other hand, it is a challenge. Looking at all this old broken stuff I realize I could do it so much better now, having visited this forum and learned a lot here. Any suggestions are welcom.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: repairs

Post by JamesPerrin »

Hi JetLi,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your damaged kits. You could modify those with missing legs to be in flight.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

Or get some different sized brass tubes to make legs. Different sizes will slide over each other and can be glued with epoxy or superglue.
Carve a new prop blade from plastic card.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
jetli
starter kit

Post by jetli »

Thanks guys. Well, it will be a challenge -- which is good. I have most of the original props for the XF5U-1, so I can use them to get the shape for a scratchbuilt blade on plasticard, I think. And then sand and file like vacuuform. ???
The undercarriage is rather fiddly.
I actually have a stash of several hundred kits, mostly which I built up over 30 years -- but it is in storage. This might also be an opportunity to check and see what I have.
Thank you for your advice -- it helps.

Return to “Construction Tips”