Airbrushing Enamel Paint

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
PeteA1979
Series 3 and Beyond

Airbrushing Enamel Paint

Post by PeteA1979 »

When I started airbrushing I only used acrylic paints and have done for a number of years. I do however have a stockpile of enamel paints. This might sound daft but is it simply a case of thinning with say Humbrol thinners to get the consistency and using thinners to clean my airbrush? Might sound silly but I don't want to make a beginners mistake and ruin my airbrush. Any ideas or help most welcome.
K5083
Active Participant

Re: Airbrushing Enamel Paint

Post by K5083 »

I would say yep, pretty much. I find enamels easier to clean than acrylics because they don't cure in minutes to the point where thinner becomes ineffective, as acrylics tend to do.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
PeteA1979
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by PeteA1979 »

I'd never thought about that, I guess you have alot longer to clean the brush out too?
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

Not a great deal longer. Don't use too strong a thinner to clean the airbrush. Some seals dissolve in some strong thinners. There are dedicated airbrush cleaning fluids but I've never used one.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Don't forget there are a lot more fumes when using enamels, so sprey in a well ventilated area.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I airbrush both acrylics and enamels Pete. To thin enamels I have always used cheap DIY store white spirits (they were good enough for Ted Taylor etc :grin: ) and I clean the brush using the same white spirit, cotton buds, old electric toothbrush heads and tissues. At least one member on here that I know of - AndrewR - uses an ultrasonic bath, designed to clean spectacles, for cleaning his airbrush - Andrew only sprays acrylics and I have no experience of using one of these devices but I'm sure he will be happy to advise you. Occasionally I will also use a squirt of aerosol airbrush cleaner for more stubborn paint deposits when I feel too lazy to use elbow grease. Aerosol cleaners can be aggressive however and some rubber airbrush seals ain't too happy about that. I don't know what model your brush is but mine is a Badger 100 and has a more durable polypropylene o-ring seal between the airbrush body and the tip assembly (which is a harder white coloured o-ring as opposed to the softer black rubber seals) that can take on more aggressive cleaners.

As alluded to by Splash, I would advise that, as a minimum precaution, you spray in a well ventilated area and I would also strongly recommend the use of a decent respirator mask when spraying either acrylics or enamels.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

I use an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning my Aztek. As far as enamels go I only spray Alclad but I do have a reliable cleaning process. First I hold the brush in a jar of white spirit. The jar must, obviously, be big enough to get your hand in (and please wear rubber gloves and a mask when doing this). Then I spray the brush through while it's submerged. This pulls most of the paint residue out. Then it's dismantled and dropped into the ready and waiting ultrasonic bath for an 8 minute cycle that leaves the airbrush as clean as a whistle.

Of course, as Splash said, you must do this kind of thing in a well ventilated area and it's only been an option for me since I started spraying in the garage. Winter might encourage a change of methodology. :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Construction Tips”