The humble soft-cheese box

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

The humble soft-cheese box

Post by fredk »

Soft spreadable cheese. Comes in a small rectangular plastic box, most often with a snap on clear lid. Two different depths are available.

Some uses;
1: I store figures in them. Here a label is stuck on. A glance into the box and I can see what's there.

2: Organising spare parts; here are my spares from WW1 tanks. Other boxes have 1/72-1/76 vehicle wheels etcetera.

3: Keeping parts of stalled builds together safely. In this one are the parts of three 54mm Airfix Musketeers, a long time stalled build; all parts kept together and safely;
The lid is clearer than it shows; its the flash.

4: During a build all the small parts can go into it for safety. It'll take a model balanced across, as this Spitfire, to keep wheels off the bench. If the build needs put to the side for a while, just snap the lid on and put the bigger model on top, or elsewhere, the parts are safe;

5: On the bench/desk, use it to store and keep to hand small tools or bit 'n bobs, such as short lengths of tubing, wire, pieces of w&d paper; here, my frequently used micro/mini drills. I use the mini pots of paint from Humbrol starter sets, similar colours are grouped together in these boxes.
With the clear lid just a glance will tell you if thats the box of tools/bits you need.

6: When using for storage they stack quite nicely.
In a drawer unit I have these will stack 4 up nicely in the drawer. A lot fits in to that drawer. To fit some in they have to go sideways but the snap-on lid stays on tight.

and the cheese is nice on toast or crackers too.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: The humble soft-cheese box

Post by PaulBradley »

Full fat? Better watch your cholesterol.....

But, seriously, a good idea, Fred - recycling at its best!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: The humble soft-cheese box

Post by fredk »

Yes, I know I'm fat, no need to mention it though.....
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Construction Tips”