What Is the Best Way To Handle This Please?

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
SteveC
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

What Is the Best Way To Handle This Please?

Post by SteveC »

Hello All,

In my current build I have encountered a problem the first time.

When I attached the wings there was a series of 'depressions' between the two parts.

Despite applying a fair bit of filler they are still quite deep.

Is there another, better, way to fill such large areas so that they are level?

Thanks,

Steve
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: What Is the Best Way To Handle This Please?

Post by JamesPerrin »

What filler did you use and what did you sand it back with?

If the filler is soft like Green Stuff and the sanding medium coarse it can 'dig' filler out. Also note that most fillers shrink as they dry and so you need to overfill or re-apply before sanding. A coat for grey or silver paint once you have sanded can help you see if you have fixed the issue or need to re-apply again.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Hello James,

I used Squadron White Putty, sanded back with various grades of paper/cloth starting with 400 and finishing with 4000.

The problem I found was that because the depression was such an irregular shape and the putty didn't actually bond with the plastic it was easily sanded away from the outer edge leaving a 'lip' around it, if that makes sense.

I didn't really need the silver paint, the fault is still glaringly obvious. It was my inability to actually fill it properly in the first place that was the root of the problem.

Regards,

Steve

I did have a tube of Revell filler which seemed to 'grip' to the plastic more, but it just went hard in the tube, so perhaps something more aggressive than Squadron White might be the way to go?
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

I find that I often apply too much pressure when sanding and it results in 'hollowing out' a dished area where the filler is. Could that be part of the problem? It's at its worst for me if I sand using sandpaper and a finger and less of a problem if I use a sanding stick or a Flex-I-File so I am not applying pressure right over the area of filler.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Hot filler such as White Stuff can dry out in the tube and if it's chalky when you apply it, and not wet, it won't bond.

I've largely given up trying to use "quick" fillers and gone back to Milliput. Yes it takes overnioght to harden but as my modelling sessions are never long enough for even the quick ones to dry it is not an issue. Very good bond unless the surface is greasy (no kebabs while modelling!)
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

dwomby wrote:I find that I often apply too much pressure when sanding and it results in 'hollowing out' a dished area where the filler is. Could that be part of the problem? It's at its worst for me if I sand using sandpaper and a finger and less of a problem if I use a sanding stick or a Flex-I-File so I am not applying pressure right over the area of filler.

Thanks David,

I have the same problem, and have just bought a Flex-I-File, which has been of great use on my current kit, as almost every part needed sanding to some degree or other.
JamesPerrin wrote:Hot filler such as White Stuff can dry out in the tube and if it's chalky when you apply it, and not wet, it won't bond.

I've largely given up trying to use "quick" fillers and gone back to Milliput. Yes it takes overnioght to harden but as my modelling sessions are never long enough for even the quick ones to dry it is not an issue. Very good bond unless the surface is greasy (no kebabs while modelling!)
Thanks James,

So, it may just be that the filler I am using is too old and needs replacing, and at the moment, a kebab seems much more appealing than the He111.

Regards,

Steve

Return to “Construction Tips”