Starting up

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Tye
Series 3 and Beyond

Starting up

Post by Tye »

Hi guy,s
As it has been over 30 yrs since my last model was completed , i suspect that kits and techniques have changed dramatically , so my first question is

1 , As a rule of thumb what kits are the best to build now days ? , Airfix ,Revelle were around yrs ago and still seem to be today but i have noticed by reading posts on here that there are other makes now available .

2, I live in the Coventry area , and as it seems everything is available on line ,i still like the idea of visiting the good old fashioned model shop , that way i can hold the product i am buying and visualise it etc but the model shops have all dissapeared now ,do any of you know of any good ones that has the full stock of models, paints , glue ect .

3, In years gone by i either used paints and glue that came the the Aircraft i was building or i bought good old Airfix or Humbrol paints are these still the best ones to use or have paints and glues ect moved onto a better quality ones ?

Many thanks for any help received

Tye
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Starting up

Post by iggie »

Impressive; 2nd post on the forum and you're going to stir up a hornet's nest!! :-D :-D

But, good questions and everyone will have their own opinions to share 8-)

From my viewpoint:
1. There are far more kit manufacturers around now, and far more readily available than ever before. For good quality mouldings (with increasingly good accuracy) of popular subjects at reasonable prices then you can't beat the New Tool Airfix releases, or the recent Revell toolings. Depending on your chosen genre of builds though, then the far eastern manufacturers are sometimes the only show in town, and cost (and postage) will go up accordingly; for example Dragon & Trumpeter are both active in the 1/350 ship scene, and they are superb quality but expensive. Mirage Hobby however are also in the same market and can be less costly but equally good for detail. I think what will be best for you returning to the hobby will depend on what you like or want to build, what budget you have and if you are a rivet counter or not

2. Model shops are a rare breed nowadays; you'll find some stuff in craft shops such as Hobbycraft but the old type shop is rare. I stumbled on one in Lincoln a couple of weeks ago and (according to my wife) my face was like a kid in a sweet shop :-D !! If I recall correctly there is (was?) a reasonable shop at Coventry Air Museum....

3. Paint-wise, the old school enamel paints are still about and still made by Humbrol (Airfix) , Revell and others. They are still smelly, take hours to dry, and a faff to clean up afterwards! Acrylic paint is now available for modelling and offers some advantages (in my opinion) over enamels; water based, less smell, easier mixing for airbrushing, easy clean-up and quick (too quick sometimes) drying. Humbrol & Revell acrylics are better for brushing than Tamiya. Experimentation is key to your choice, and a mixture of types and manufacturers will likely be the end result in your paint box!

Keep your eyes open in charity shops; you sometimes find some kits in them and often at silly cheap prices...even if they are not what you want to build, they might make good experimentation subjects
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Tye
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Tye »

Well after bit more looking on line i found a small but helpful model shop in Coventry , who was only too happy to takes lots of my hard eared pounds ,and supply me with my 1st project lol aswell as necessary tools and sundries to complete the job (so he said ) :-D :-D

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That looks like a good starting set you have got.

I fully agree with what iggie said, one thing to watch out for is not all acrylic paints are the same, I tend to only use an airbrush and find Tamiya paints airbrush well if thinned with their own thinners, but other builders say they are not so good for hand painting.

A lot of the builders on here who hand paint tend to stick with enamel paints or Humbrol & Revell acrylics.

Another point with acrylics they are not all the same Tamiya need thinning with alcohol were as the others are water based.

As for kits watch out Airfix have re-boxed a lot of their very old kits in new boxes, their new releases however are spot on and a pleasure to build. there is also an "in box review" thread that's worth checking.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Tye
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Tye »

Thank you Splash
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Personally I have found that Tamiya paints straight from the pot do not brush well at all, becoming very stringy and pulling as you brush very quickly. If you thin them quite a bit (at least 50/50) then they are very workable but you have to build up the colour over several thin coats making sure the previous coat is completely dry or the thinners will pull it off
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Wot Splash said. My own experience with Tamiya paints is that they brush very poorly. They need thinning (with their proprietary thinner) but I wouldn't chance it on any large areas. In addition, for non-standard colours like black/flesh/wood/metallics etc, you should be able to find Citadel paints in Games Workshop or similar wargaming stores. These are dead handy and brush very well. citadel also do some excellent textures and washes for weathering and diorama purposes.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
iggie

Post by iggie »

Talking of weathering and the like, this is a good deal and will give you a start to experiment with at minimal outlet:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-Weathe ... SwLVZVnTci
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Construction Tips”