To Prime and which to Prime? Help

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Cherrytree270
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

To Prime and which to Prime? Help

Post by Cherrytree270 »

Good morning everyone,
I'm currently working on a Heinkel 111
and I have asked my friend in town to pick me up some Spray primer for the main body,
I was given a call asking which one, there is just so much choice and I do not have a clue.
The plastic of the model is blue/grey and I am wanting to use the primer to create a smooth base and let the colours stand out.
I have looked at the FAQ on this forum but have been left even more bewildered (I'm a bit of a newbie I'm afraid to say.
Can anybody translate my options or has anybody had personal experience with a primer they have used in a similar situation and has worked?

Many Thanks,
Kathleen
"Winging it" since 1994 ;-)
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: To Prime and which to Prime? Help

Post by fredk »

Any primer from a model shop will do your job. Its just a matter of which manufacturer you prefer.
Most model paint makers make a jar or tin of primer to use in an airbrush and many make it in a spray can as well.
The Tamiya spray primer has a high reputation. If its available go for it.

Keep away from primers from car accessory shops, eg Halfords, until you know more.
These places sell three types of primer; one is cellulose based and will turn your model into a molten blob.
Another is acrylic but with a cellulose carrier, it'll do serious damage to your model.
The third type is a 'plastic' primer which generally works fine on models, but versions of this use cellulose as the carrier for the pigment.
So until you know which is which keep away from them.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

For my 2c, Tamiya (as mentioned above) white primer:
https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paints- ... hite-87044;

I brush paint my models but always spray on an undercoat of primer and Tamiya is excellent for getting a decent finish with a brush. I'm going to take a punt that you would be brush painting too, given the nature of the question you're asking.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, for my money the two rattle-can Tamiya primers mentioned above, Fine White (87044) or Fine Light Gray (87064), are great. They cover real well, dry quickly, and do not ruin underlying detail. A quick bit of practice just to get used to them and you'll find it's hard to ruin the model by overspraying, etc. I really like the Fine White because it means half a Coastal Command aircraft is then already painted :grin:

About the only other I might use are the Vallejo Surface Primers (73.6xx) which are similar (colors) to real-vehicle undercoats/primers -- these are mostly for military vehicles, although they do have black, white, etc. These are airbrushed and I only use them if my project is to be painted (brush or air) in their acrylic paint line.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Cherrytree270

Post by Cherrytree270 »

Hey Guys
I got too excited and my friend picked up this one in the end, Do you think it would be alright, is there any way to test it?
It's my bad for being impatient, I will keep Tamiya in mind as it is so highly recommended.
Thank you for the help
iggie

Post by iggie »

I've not used it myself but it's made for modelling so I can't see it being a problem on plastic....

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with it; full review required!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That's probably good enough. It's always best to test on styrene. After a bit, you'll have a couple failure kits that you can use for spray testing and such ....

One thing, if you put on too much, the surface may feel dusty. Wipe it down with a very fine sanding paper or stick - you want your primer to be really smooth.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Cherrytree270

Post by Cherrytree270 »

jRatz wrote:That's probably good enough. It's always best to test on styrene. After a bit, you'll have a couple failure kits that you can use for spray testing and such ....

One thing, if you put on too much, the surface may feel dusty. Wipe it down with a very fine sanding paper or stick - you want your primer to be really smooth.
I never though of doing either of those things, I'm so glad you mentioned it.
I am looking to prime her when I get a moment in the next few days.
I will be sure to write a full review.

Thank you everyone, I will keep you updated and post a pic once she is primed. ;-)
fredk

Post by fredk »

A rub down with a piece of denim cloth is sometimes enough to smooth the primer surface.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Construction Tips”