1/72- 1/76 Headlights

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Colin
Getting well comfy!

1/72- 1/76 Headlights

Post by Colin »

I'm reaching completion on the venerable Airfix LTV4 and Jeep. the jeep's not bad but was really let down by the headlights being represented by circles in the plastic.
Using a tip from an old work colleague, I hollowed out the lights to make dishes. chromed them using Humbrol 191 then used my remaining Clearfix for the lenses. Since the Clearfix is several years old (it was supplied with the 1/72 Concorde), the result was disapponting.
THEN I hit on a better solution: I took a short piece of 1mm diameter optical fibre and held it close to the tip of my soldering iron. Lo and behold, the end of the fibre formed a perfect little lens shape. With practise, I was able to make a matching pair of lenses.
I then cut the fibre, leaving 1-2mm to act as a mount.
I then drilled a 1mm hole in each light and pushed the lenses in with a tiny drop of PVA to secure them.
It's a little touch but the finished vehicle looks so much better and can be applied to most of the Airfix 1/76 vehicles.
captainzlog
starter kit

Re: 1/72- 1/76 Headlights

Post by captainzlog »

I've had great success using a nub cut from a piece of clear sprue; the rounded bit where the clear kit part was attached is perfectly shaped for AFV spotlights and headlamps - just paint the back and you're done!

Return to “Construction Tips”