Mini screens and windows fitting.

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Magician
Series 3 and Beyond

Mini screens and windows fitting.

Post by Magician »

I've 95% sucessfully assembled four Tamiya minis now but no matter how little adhesive I use and how careful I am I always end up with spoiled windscreens, rear screens or side windows. Is there any adhesive I can use other than Superglue or "Revell Contacta Professional" (The stuff in the blue container with the needle like applicator) ? I've tried using the tiniest amount on the end of a cocktail stick but it still seems to spread across to 'craze' the transparancy be they screens, windows or headlight lenses. Any suggestions will be hugely appreciated. Apologies if this question has been asked before but I've found previous references to different adhesives to be a bit confusing. Many thanks.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Mini screens and windows fitting.

Post by iggie »

Any pva based glue should work and dry clear. There are several sold for this, my choice would be Krystal Klear by Microscale. This can also be used to glaze small openings on it's own.
But not a 1/32 Mini!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Mini screens and windows fitting.

Post by ShaunW »

Contacta is polystyrene cement and like all such glues has the ability to fog or craze clear parts and although it can be used to attach such it has to be used with great care and ditto cyano glues (superglue). Iggie's suggestion is sound enough and I am also a fan of Krystal Klear or alternatively PVA ("white glue") to attach clear parts - both should dry clear, are relatively easy to remove and will not fog or craze transparencies.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Construction Tips”