1/72 grass

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

1/72 grass

Post by splash »

As you can see from the photos, I have gone for the simple approach of first giving a base coat of Tamiya NATO Brown, then using PVA glue and the Gaugemaster Scenic Puffer Bottle, I have given it a coat of JAVIS Countryside Scenics static grass (Autumn mix).

For 1/76 scale the grass effect is simple quick and very effective, you just paint PVA glue where you want the grass then puff the grass out of the puffer bottle, the force of the puff and the static produced makes the strands of grass automatically stand up and gives it the natural look.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: 1/72 grass

Post by JamesPerrin »

I can imagine my daughter wanting to 'grass' everything in sight if she saw that.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Nice work Alan. I have a converted fly swat/tea strainer for doing the same and can vouch that it being somewhat addictive! Our cat usually legs it when she sees the strainer come out :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

iggie wrote:Nice work Alan. I have a converted fly swat/tea strainer for doing the same and can vouch that it being somewhat addictive! Our cat usually legs it when she sees the strainer come out :-D
I looked at the electronic tea strainer systems but being a cheapskate went for the cheaper puffer bottle.

How did you convert the fly swat, can you post a picture?
fredk

Post by fredk »

I have a converted fly-swatter as well.
~I didn't convert it but its a simple job
The fly swat has two mesh panels, each wired up to a capicitor. When the fly is hit the two mesh blasts a charge into the fly. To convert it, one wire from the capicitor [which would go to one mesh] goes to the tea strainer which fits into the handle instead of the double mesh unit. The other wire from the capacitor goes to a crocodile clip.
To use it; you push a nail into the board and attach the crocodile clip, the grass goes into the strainer. You switch on and shake the strainer. The capicitor sets up a large static charge which attracts the grass, which is also attracted back to the strainer, causing it to stand up, or lean towards it.
Most great fun when you wave the tea strainer too close to the croc clip or nail.

I bought the unit for about a tenner
To do it yourself it'd be a lot less. Poundland/world sells the flyswat and tea strainer for all of £1 each
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers for the instructions Fred, that's the kind of appliance hack I enjoy.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Yep, Fred's description is spot on. I find the fly swatter tea strainer works better for longer lengths of static grass than the puffer bottle which tended to get cloggef
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Construction Tips”