flooded canopies

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

flooded canopies

Post by rob_van_riel »

I tend to use quite a bit of water on my models, for wet sanding, cleaning, smooting out filler, you name it. This has the unfortunate side effect of water getting inside my models, and showing up on the inside of the canopy of aircraft, often carrying dust that stays behind long after the water has finally evaporated.

Until the canopy goes on, there's no problem, but there comes a time when I need to fix the canopy in place, and occasionally work on the edges. Once the canopy is fixed, there's no cleaning the inside anymore.

Anyone have some ideas on how to avoid flooding past that point in construction?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: flooded canopies

Post by JamesPerrin »

I have exactly the same problem. I try to leave the canopy till last in construction but primer often needs a rub down. I think a lot of the dust sprites are already resident so I recently thought about using my airbrush to blow out the fuselage before adding the canopy. I've yet to try it though. I also use PVA to affix canopies which does make it easier to remove them if necessary.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Construction Tips”