Framing Vac Form Canopies

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Framing Vac Form Canopies

Post by Springy67 »

Hey All

I'm hoping for a bit of guidance.

I'm building the old Frog Whitley and making my first foray into using vac form canopies and turrets, and I am not sure of the best approach to framing them. Generally, with kit canopies, I mask the frame and paint the frames in by hand (I don't have an airbrush). Any excess is cleared away with a cocktail stick.

As the vacform canopy I shall be using is not as rigid as the kit canopy, I'm not sure if this approach will work. I'm a bit concerned about damaging the vac form canopy.

The vac form instructions say to use painted decal paper but won't the paint flake off when the paper is applied round the curves? I will be painting it using Tamiya acrylics.

Also, where do you get decal paper from? I live near Sydney but haven't seen it in any of my local model shops. Online?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers
Springy
It's a lot like playing the violin,
You cannot start off and be Yehudi Menuhin.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Framing Vac Form Canopies

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

My solution to "beefing up" vac-canopies for cutting, painting, etc is to stuff them with Blu-Tac.

They are stronger before being cut from the sheet, so you can paint most the frame before cutting it out, then just touch-up after cutting it out and gluing it on.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Framing Vac Form Canopies

Post by iggie »

Try painting "Scotch' tape (the type that has a slightly matt surface that doesn't show up in photocopies) with the required colour and then once dry, cut into narrow strips using a new scalpel blade and a steel rule. Stick the tape onto the canopies as required and then seal into place with a gloss varnish
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Construction Tips”