How long before attaching masking tape to a painted surface

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

How long before attaching masking tape to a painted surface

Post by billyb_imp »

Having painted the underside of my Hurricane Mk1 yesterday morning, I had hoped this morning, to put masking tape to protect the underside from overspray but on closer looking at it this morning it needs a little bit more work on the underside leading / trailing edges of each wing.

So having planned on leaving it for 24 hours, it is now re-painted where required and i'm left kicking my heels, my question, how long generally do you leave the paintwork before attaching masking tape / applying the 2nd camouflage colour (different colour)
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: How long before attaching masking tape to a painted surf

Post by iggie »

I use acrylic paint so tape can be applied after an hour or so in my experience, but enamel will be at least 24 hours I guess
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

iggie wrote:I use acrylic paint so tape can be applied after an hour or so in my experience, but enamel will be at least 24 hours I guess
Thanks iggie, im also using acrylic, so will get back on the job this afternoon, its had 3 hours so far.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I've gotten burnt too many times -- 24 hours is a nice number for paint to be fully dried, glue to be fully cured, etc ....

Let experience be your guide and remember it may not be the paint's fault, the undersurface may not have been clean ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Construction Tips”