A build in Construction Tips?

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

A build in Construction Tips?

Post by bluesteel »

Well yes, it's the only place I think it might fit :-D

It's going to take me a while to finish and, if I can get it working, may prove to be an amazingly useful tool for the hobby.

Anyone hazard a guess as to what it is? And sadly no, not a time machine as Paul Bradley already has suggested.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Re: A build in Construction Tips?

Post by bluesteel »

Brews wrote:Has someone let you loose or did you get out on your own accord? :)

I have no idea what it is. If it's going to be a lathe, then its stand is elaborate.
That's the framework of the device. I have yet to add the axes, motors and electronics. You are not too far off with the idea of a lathe, just need bringing up to date :grin:
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

A 3D copier, to save you from having to manufacture your own Strike Wings.

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've just been reading up on these after your previous mention. I had seen these on /. a few years ago but hadn't heard more since apart from one done in Meccano.

BTW Neal Stephenson's 'The Diamond Age' heavily featured the idea that home replication would be widespread so much so that the basic elements were 'fed' into every home. Great read for any Steampunkers out there.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

MerlinJones wrote:A 3D copier, to save you from having to manufacture your own Strike Wings.

Regards,
Bruce
Close enough.

It's a RepRap Prusa 3d printer. Pretty much a home built from open source plans, but at least it'll work out at less than £500 all in. Hopefully I should be able to print my own parts either from originated 3d CAD files or scans of originals.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RepRap_Project

The white plastic parts holding it all together were printed on another Prusa. So the beauty of it is that I can use it to print the parts so my friends and colleagues can get hold of one too :-D
Bluesteel

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

...Eeeeek....Replicators!! :shock:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

We have a small outfit into this out in Raleigh, comes to a local contest once in a while.

I have often said that soon many modelers will own something like this; if you think about computer hardware, etc, the price eventually dropped significantly.

If "everyone" can print their own part, the aftermarket will shift from producing parts themselves to producing and selling the input drawings. A segment will grow for on-demand research & produce. Those modelers without their own system will work it out.

10 years .... check it out.

Now back to the original question -- I thought it a high-tech "two-holer" :-D
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Combine this with a laser scanner and you copy just about anything.

However the really cool stuff will come about when you start printing multiple materials with different properties, think bendy items with rigid parts and electronics directly built into to them for example.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

JamesPerrin wrote:Combine this with a laser scanner and you copy just about anything.

However the really cool stuff will come about when you start printing multiple materials with different properties, think bendy items with rigid parts and electronics directly built into to them for example.
Well that's the main reason I have it. Kit parts will just be a sideline. I am developing a second print head which will use NanoInk or 'Nink' which should, with a bit of luck and practice allow the printing of basic circuit layouts on the plastic.

3d printers can already print in plastic, ceramic, some metals and even living cells - tissue printers. The bio-printing side of things will probably be the most revolutionary in the future with plans to print replacement body organs being developed. But I don't think I'll be experimenting with that side of things at home.

My first project will be to print proper plastic large tip tanks for the Lockheed Neptune as I already have the masters that I can scan or reproduce in a 3d package.
Bluesteel

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Cory Doctorow’s rather excellent “Makers” covers the same sort of ground, and even better you can download for free it in the ebook format of your choice here:

http://craphound.com/makers/download/;

Read more about it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Makers-Cory-Doc ... 721&sr=8-1;

...one key lesson from Makers is that if you use your 3D printer to make plastic guns, make sure that they’re teeny-tiny .303 Brownings, not 1:1 scale functional Glocks ;-)

bestest,
M.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I see we have a budding Dr. Frankensnape in the house..... :lol:

Very cool - can't wait to see the Neptune tanks. Any chance you could video the process, once you have it working?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

PaulBradley wrote:I see we have a budding Dr. Frankensnape in the house..... :lol:

Very cool - can't wait to see the Neptune tanks. Any chance you could video the process, once you have it working?
Yes, I intend to video builds for personal reference also for the RepRap community.

If you want to see RepRaps in action just type RepRap or RapRap Prusa into YouTube and there are many clips of RepRaps printing objects successfully, and a few not so successfully. As with any emerging technology, early adopters use the trial and error method more often than not...

This shows the type of thing you can do once it's properly calibrated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1213kMys6e8
Bluesteel

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

bluesteel wrote: ...... I am developing a second print head which will use NanoInk or 'Nink' which should, with a bit of luck and practice allow the printing of basic circuit layouts on the plastic.

3d printers can already print in plastic, ceramic, some metals
Merlin will be in heaven -- little 1/144 engine nacelles with miniature Spin-A-Props already molded in :-D
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
migdriver
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by migdriver »

:shock: this is new to me ,my brain hurts just thinking about the possibillitys.
THE COSMIC JESTER IS WATCHING !!!
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I'm installing the print board and motors now, then onto the X and Z axis and then the extruder. Once that's done it's connect the electronics and start calibrating :grin:

Bluesteel

Return to “Construction Tips”