Blu/white tak and German nightfighter spot Camouflage

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Titan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Blu/white tak and German nightfighter spot Camouflage

Post by Titan »

Right I would like to start by saying you are going to need a lot of patience and also time to try this method but I think you will find it useful especially on 1/72 kits as you can obtain a nice clean finish.

This is one of those methods that I don't think anyone can lay claim to as it's just out there in the cloud as it were.
I did try something similar innocently on small-scale armour quite a number of years ago because I could not achieve thin enough lines for that particular scheme and because braille scale is very small I didn't want any overspray to spoil the model.
So the results were good and I was dead chuffed at what I had done, but overtime and trawling through the internet I soon realised that it had all been done before, hey ho not as clever as I thought :-D

Roll forward a few more years and time to get out the blutak again this time on something a bit bigger.

This is what I was aiming at and the method was basically the same as the germans did their camo on this type( obviously with out the blutak )They sprayed the airframe with RLM 75 and then over sprayed with RLM 76.

As you can see the pattern is nice and clean with soft edges and no splattering.

Here is how I did it.

The model was sprayed all over with RLM 75 and small balls of blu/white tak were placed in a random pattern all over the top surfaces and around the sides of the model.

Try and make the tak irregular sizes but not too big and also don't be in too much of a rush to complete them you can see from the picture above and below that non of the blu/white tak balls actually touch each other.

The next step is to spray RLM 76 on low pressure all over the model but do this in stages first from front to back then back to front, then left to right and finally right to left. The reason for this is so that you don't get any shadowing which would give the spots an elongated look in just one directional spraying.

The picture above and below shows the model after the application of the RLM 76 and you must make sure that non of the tak is disturbed until the paint has thoroughly dried.

Once dried the tak can be removed and you spray work can be examined for any errors which should be corrected at this stage in prep for the next stage.
The following pictures show the results of the removed tak and some shadowing can be seen but is easily corrected with some thinned RLM 75.

I'm happy with the pattern but it's too intense as can be seen in the next photos.

To remedy this an overspray of thinnly mixed RLM 76 is required to tone down the pattern somewhat and this is to personal preference how much you tone them down.

And that's it, time consuming yes as this took me about two and a half hours just to get the tak onto the model but I think the results were worth it, it's certainly better than I could do freehand with an airbrush that's for sure.

Anyway I hope may find this of use one day.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: Blu/white tak and German nightfighter spot Camouflage

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing that.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Seems like a great method to achieve this effect but I must admit that I did laiugh out loud when I saw the model covered in little balls. I guess I must be easily amused. :grin:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Just came across this Mark, great stuff. I have always wanted to build a collection of German night fighters but could never face the camo.

Now I might just give it a go.

Cheers mate. :beer:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Titan

Post by Titan »

Mmm... I thought about what you had suggested Bruce and may give it a go next time, I just like any excuse to whip my airbrush out. :-D

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Post by SJPONeill »

Brilliant!! Like Old Tonto, I have been avoiding anything like this because of the camo...now I'm quite keen of having a crack...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Nax

Post by Nax »

Thanks Titan, I used your technique on my Horten build and it worked a treat. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
Titan

Post by Titan »

Thanks Steve, I'm glad you found it of use.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Return to “Construction Tips”