Drilling?

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Motley
Active Participant

Drilling?

Post by Motley »

Often in instructions it asks you to drill a hole (usually 3mm) in wings and such to attach other parts. Usually due to this im put off the idea of attaching the other parts as i have no way to drill these holes. With a few builds im planning where i know ill need to drill holes, i was wondering if any one can point me in the direct of a drill so that i can drill these holes from now on. Thank you for any help :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Drilling?

Post by JamesPerrin »

Firstly for 'optional wing pylon' mounting hole you can often open these up with the tip of a sharp and pointy craft knife if they are just flashed over.

...but any serious modeller should really get themselves a pinvice and a set of micro drill bits. The pinvice is metal barrel with a couple of small chucks at either end that will hold the micro drill bits. The drill bits usually come in a handy plastic caddy and range from 0.3 up to 1.5 mm. (3mm that's actually quite large!). Both items can be picked up for a few pounds - a good LMS and or craft shop should have these items else they can be readily ordered online.

An alternative to the pinvice is a twist drill, this is basically a single ended pinvice but and and collar that runs up and down the twisted barrel and therefore spinning the drill bits. I don't find this drill action all that useful my self.

If you have millions of holes to drill (eg building the a Titanic) then an electric micro drill will be useful but is must have a slow speed setting else you'll melt the plastic.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

These are the drill bits I use;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-20Pc-M ... 923&sr=1-1;

If you put "pin vice" into eBay, you'll find lots of sets going for less that £6, which include pin vice and bits.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

A set of #80 - #61 drill bits, with a nice pin vice, is a must on my bench. I also have, for sizes above #61 a set of what I'll call finger drills -- they have a hex shank which will go in a power drill but are also suitable for simply turning by hand. I think I got them when I was building & crashing R/C airplanes.

Choose your pin vice carefully. I have accumulated several over the decades, but only one is a favorite -- easy to use, not liable to make my work more difficult..
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Here's something else. When I have a lot of holes to drill (think rigging), I find thatI a) get bored, b) break lots of drill bits.

I have recently started using a "standard" home electric screwdriver. These are far lower speed than the Dremel devices. I also found a chuck for it that holds the smaller pin drills that I use. I got the chuck from Micro-Mark.

Anyway, I find that I a) can do more in one sitting, and b) break fewer drill bits.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I use old dentist drills! they come in a variety of shapes and sizes and are free! The only downside is you have to visit your dentist.

I have used these successfully in my mini-electric drill (not a dremel- a cheaper version of the same thing)
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Electric screwdriver! What a brilliant idea John!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I keep on hearing about Dremels running too quickly and melting plastic.
Mine's got adjustable speed and, at it's slowest, is slower than my slowest hand speed. Never had it melt anything.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I didn't mention melting plastic. I also have a speed-controlled Dremel, but I'm having better luck with the e-driver, perhaps there is alao a torque factor.
Regardless, it's an option ...

Return to “Construction Tips”