How Brews Trims Vac Canopies

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

How To Trim Vac Canopies

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Stuff the vac canopy with Blu-Tac first, great for holding shape and getting a grip on the canopy itself while cutting (with a sharp #11 blade)..
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: How Brews Trims Vac Canopies

Post by JamesPerrin »

A good quality pair of sewing scissors work best. They are sharp and cut all the way to the end of the blades. Rotating steel blades it a bit overkill and a I would fear injury on such a small flexible piece of plastic
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I tend to mask and paint the framing before trimming out of the "block"- I find it's much easier to see where to cut on say, a Falcon Spitfire canopy when it's painted. Obviously, you may have to touch up when it's glued in place, but often not. I use a new #11 blade in several gentle passes for straight sections, and as James suggests sharp scissors for curves. I have a gently curved set which are great - cut into the natural curve for following the edge, and turn against the curve for trimming little nubbins or unevenness off...

bestest,
M.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I also have my little curved scissors for trimming as Matt suggests and I think a careful trim with blade and/or scissors eliminates most any need for sanding. Regardless, if the canopy is packed with Blu-tac it's fairly rigid and will stand up to close trimming or sanding much better than if empty, also to separating the sliding/opening parts if so desired.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Construction Tips”