Stretched sprue for rigging????

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Nax
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Stretched sprue for rigging????

Post by Nax »

G'day folks as the title indicates, can I use stretched sprue for rigging on a bi-plane, or should I use something else?
Last night I tried to stretch some "flexible tank track" sprue without any luck, I cant use the piano wire because I can't get the radius curves out of it, so my choices are getting slim.
Last night I successfully stretched some airfix sprue, nice and straight and a consistent thickness all the way.
From anybody's past experience, will the stretched sprue "sag" after a while or would I be right to use it after a paint? ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Stretched sprue for rigging????

Post by JamesPerrin »

From the old forum the experience of our own Merlin 'spider' Jones comes to you. ;-)

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... ht=rigging;
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Nax
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Nax »

Thanks for the link James and thanks for the demo Bruce. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

Stretched sprue is an excellent material for rigging; I have 30 year old models on which it still remains taut; However, in my experience it is only suitable for the smaller model; you are best off using thread for larger ones.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Stretched sprue has the advantage of being 'available' in different thicknesses and...er...being available. With practice, you can get very good results.

My issue with anything non-stretchy is that you have to be more precise with your positioning, either relying on calipers for measurements and/or drilling lots of little holes.
Whilst I used to drill, I do so no longer, as I'm happy with my current technique.

When James refers to spiders, he's actually closer to my trainers than he realises!
When a spider makes a web and lays a cable, it always anchors the cable first.
It then goes to where it wants the cable attaching and places 'cement' there and attaches the end of the cable to the 'glue'.
Because the web material is stretchy, spider doesn't need calipers.
The elasticity of the web also allows it to survive weather and many collisions.
This is an obvious bonus of elsatic rigging thread.

The big issue nowadays is access to Aeroclub Rigging Thread. Out of modelshows, when 'John Aero' attends, it is difficult to get hold of. People talk of EZ-line and elastic thread from haberdashers, but these materials do not match the Aeroclub stuff, (in my opinion).

Critics of rigging thread remark that it cannot be painted. It can, with Mr.Metalcolor being a favourite, or Humbrol metalcote. You can also colour it with marker pens and gel pens.
Another criticism is that it only comes in one guage.
Pah! :rol:

You can split it.
You can stretch it.
You can combine it with itself.
You can colour it darker, which makes it look thicker.

This is a more recent demo;
http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=15;

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MerlinJones wrote:People talk of EZ-line and elastic thread from haberdashers, but these materials do not match the Aeroclub stuff, (in my opinion).
The stuff I got from Aeroclub is the stuff you can get from haberdashers, it's called knitting in elastic by Gold Zack. I think John has had different sources of this over the years and they vary in thickness, I think mine is a tad thicker than yours Bruce.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

JamesPerrin wrote:
MerlinJones wrote:...but these materials do not match the Aeroclub stuff, (in my opinion).
...I think mine is a tad thicker than yours Bruce.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

While James and Bruce are busy comparing their respective thicknesses,... :mrgreen:

I've just started rigging biplanes and I've tried stretched sprue, fishing line and elastic thread (from a craft store), and the elastic thread was by far the easiest to do and make look right.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
wbk666
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by wbk666 »

i just can't get the hang of stretching sprue, i dont think my banana fingers are nimble or subtle enough :(
2012 - A-133 B-55 C-1

Build What You Want, The Way You Want To, but above all, HAVE FUN!!!

Return to “Construction Tips”