How best to build a PE grille/grid?

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

How best to build a PE grille/grid?

Post by mattbacon »

Hi, all... I've just started work on a Gunze Ferrari 250 SWB. The radiator grille is built up from strips of photo-etch. The short verticals are slotted half way through on the front edge, and the long horizontals half way through on the back edge. In theory, they interlock criss-cross fashion to make up the "egg-crate" grille. Gunze would have you place the centre two verticals and then the centre pair of horizontals, and then fill outwards vertically and horizontally a pair at a time. The problem is, once you have placed the first pair of verticals and crossed the horizontals, you have to lift the whole thing up to get the next pair of verticals "underneath", and repeat over and over. The fit is good, but not completely snug, so the whole thing can move at any stage unless the joints are stuck. Currently, I've got as far as placing the first pair of verticals on some double sided tape, dropping the first pair of horizontals in place, and marking all the locations of the rest of the verticals. My thought is to remove the horizontals, place all the other verticals at the marked locations, and then drop all the horizontals. I'm worried, though, that if I join the slats with liquid superglue, it'll run down and stick the grille to the mat below. I also might be barking up the wrong tree entirely!

Anyone built either this kit or anything like this out of etched brass and have any hints and tips that they'd care to share?

Many thanks!

bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: How best to build a PE grille/grid?

Post by JamesPerrin »

Never tried anything similar, but off the top of my head:

Use singlesided wide sided tape that you have secured at the edges so it is flat and taught to a board.

Add all the horizontals to the central verticals ( you should be able to sneak in some outer verticals to aid alignment) that are mounted on tape and then use thinned PVA run into the joints with a brush.

Place tape over the top and then release the lower piece of tape. Secure the upper piece of tape to the board. Peel away the lower tape that is now 'on top'.

Add remaining verticals.

Uses PVA on enough joints to hold each piece in place.

Release tape from board and peel off.

Permanently fix remaining joins with CA.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Construction Tips”