A Rigging Video -- No Longer Exists

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
MerlinJones

A Rigging Video -- No Longer Exists

Post by MerlinJones »

Would such a thing be useful and, if I made one, what would you really like me to include?

I'm guessing a 'yes' to the first part of the question, but the second bit is more important to me.

Regards,
Bruce
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: A Rigging Video?

Post by Softscience »

It would be good to see which adhesives you use and how you apply them to prevent (or at least mitigate) crazing.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've a build ready to rig shortly. I could have a go at recording some of it, to provide an alternate view. As the old saying goes 'there is more than one way to rig a biplane' :mrgreen:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

You should do a series entitled "Modelling with random input from my wife" :grin:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
T-21
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by T-21 »

Yes please. My friend was rigging a Monogram biplane yesterday and is very good at it . I mentioned that Merlin uses Zip Kicker accelerator to speed up the super glue gel setting and he is now going to get some as the gel was not setting quick enough and he kept pulling the wires through. Mention types of glue/tools used, sequence of rigging i.e.cabane struts first,not getting in a tangle,correct tension of thread as you can pull the struts off.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I take it you didn't see the link above? ;-)
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

That is a fantastic tutorial Bruce. Would love to see more like that
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Seeingness is believingness ;-)
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Excellent little movie, well done.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: A Rigging Video

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Great little video, very clever and informative !

I think you should do a part 1, which is erecting/aligning the struts neatly -- not only does it appear central to your rigging method, but the learner needs to ensure he gets that right else his spider web won't take the top wing.

A couple suggestions, recognizing you've been doing this for years and are perfectly comfortable without them:
-- use thin brass wire instead of the cocktail stick to get an even smaller dab
-- finer point tweezers held closer to the gluing end will enable you to better control the straightness and angle of the thread.
-- make a simple jig of wood blocks or something to go under the wings and fuselage to hold your aircraft steady; I noted you had some difficulty with it rocking on its gear at times.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

jRatz wrote:I think you should do a part 1, which is erecting/aligning the struts neatly -- not only does it appear central to your rigging method, but the learner needs to ensure he gets that right else his spider web won't take the top wing.
Good suggestion John.
I skipped the Basic Modelling and realised that I do it all by eye and without thinking. I'll put some thought into demonstrating what I look for when aligning pieces and how I ensure all is level, before I get to the rigging stage. :???:
jRatz wrote:A couple suggestions, recognizing you've been doing this for years and are perfectly comfortable without them:
-- use thin brass wire instead of the cocktail stick to get an even smaller dab
-- finer point tweezers held closer to the gluing end will enable you to better control the straightness and angle of the thread.
-- make a simple jig of wood blocks or something to go under the wings and fuselage to hold your aircraft steady; I noted you had some difficulty with it rocking on its gear at times.
I went as far as using finely stretched sprue, but it felt artificial and isn't what I normally use.
'Straightness' and 'angle of the thread' are irrelevent, due to its flexibility and elasticity. The issue is controling the end of the thread, so that it makes contact with the small blob of glue.
In making the video, the issue was doing this at a pace that could be followed, whilst ensuring the action was visible enough to be seen and understood. Normally, one hand holds the model and the other holds the thread. It was tricky doing this away from the body, so as not to obstruct the camera.
Earlier versions of the video had me waffling on about these points and one had me singing 'Swinging in the Rigging'!

Of course, if I trained The Beloved into being my expert cameraperson, as opposed to offering random rabbittings, things would appear much more smooth and controlled. I suppose the dithering with the thread illustrates that the glue takes time to set, giving you a useful window of opportunity to get it right.

Regards,
Bruce
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Bravo Bruce, a great video "Howdy he do it". That rigging thread is the dogs danglers.

Also enjoyed the commute, what a lovely bit of countryside you live in.

Cheers
Jim
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Bruce,
As an ex-cinè enthusiast (many years ago) this does intrigue me, what software do you use when electronically splicing clips to form the whole?
I am planning a balsa bash demo later next month and this would make a good subject for a short film.
My compact is more than adequate for the task in its lowest resolution video format so that isn't a problem, I only need to write a script and then build a short series of demo pieces in true 'Blue Peter' style to make it flow.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Thanks Jim...Ooooh....I'd forgotten that I'd done that commute! :oops:

Ian...I use the Microsoft Windows Live Moviemaker software, that came with my Windows.
Fairly simple and intuitive to use. It lets you add titles, captions and credits and you can weld video together, alongside stills and, if you want, music.
You can also add a variety of effects, called themes, to manage fade-ins and the like.

What is also useful is the ability to share your video with YouTube, facebook, or whatever and it formats your movie to something appriopriate for your chosen media.

NOTE, however, that YouTube videos have a maximum duration, (though I forget what it is) and if you use some music, you might find your video can't be shown in some countries. For example, my Commute cannot be seen in the US because of certain copyrighted tracks.

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Construction Tips”