Making Home Made Prop Blurs

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Making Home Made Prop Blurs

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

In this tutorial I'll show you how I make home made prop blurs simply and on the cheap. ;-) For those with plenty of disposable income you could always buy blurs from a company like this http://www.propblur.com/172nd-scale.html. I myself haven't used them but they look sweet. My problem is the cost. :sad:

Here's all the parts you need:

A sturdy plastic cap from an aerosol spray can
A nail
An Exacto Compass cutter
A Drill

Building the tool:

First I took the cap and preformed a little surgery. I left about a 1/4 inch lip to help keep the cap stiff to reduce flexing when applying pressure with the sand paper.

Next I drilled a hole in the center of the cap large enough to pass the nail through.

And now you're ready to make a prop blur. Here's how its done.

To make the blur itself I use Evergreen clear plastic. In the past I've used the clear lids that tend to come with Chinese take out food or something similar. With the Evergreen it costs about $5 for two sheets which will allow you to make up to a dozen or so blurs per sheet depending on the size of the blur you want.

The key tool in my opinion is the Exacto Compass. I found mine at a local craft store for under $10.

Using the kit supplied prop as a guide I measure from the center of the prop hub to the edge of the blade tip.

I then cut out a disk using the compass

Next using a pin vice I'll enlarge the center hole on the blur to accommodate the nail from the tool you just built. Keep in mind you may need different size nails for different size props.

Take the nail and pass it through the plastic disk you cut out. Then pass that through the aersole cap like pictured below

Then place the entire shaft of the nail into the jaws of the drill. Butt the jaws against the bottom of the cup and tighten

Next turn on the drill. While holding the drill drag sand paper across the disk. I've found through trial and error that its better to use a lighter grade sandpaper This allows you to still see through the blur to the aircraft. You can see the differences yourself below and decide for yourself which would work for you.

Course Paper finish

Finer Paper finish

I will try adding yellow tips and maybe some blade shadows later on but for now...

Thanks for looking
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
paulcolt
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: Making Home Made Prop Blurs

Post by paulcolt »

i like that idea!! Thanks for sharing!!
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I wonder if adding a wash to the scratches would work? Or painting 3, 4 or 5 (depending on the numbers of blades) radii, then wiping in the direction of prop spin?
I am going to have to give this a try.
Well done, Dirk!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I'm thinking the next time I try the yellow tips I'll thin it out and try using a light application of smoke for the blades. That will be another installment
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

Hi, i have just read your post and must say what a great idea that is, brilliant well done. i would like to see one with the blades painted in.

regards rich.
Rich.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Need to get you and James Perrin hooked up ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Construction Tips”