Masking For Dummies

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Masking For Dummies

Post by Ian »

Whilst I was Blitzing my Storch, Justin commented on my masking and I promised that I’d knock up a tutorial. Well here it is!

I’m starting with two different Spitfire canopies from the spares box.

When masking for a kit I would dunk the parts in Klear and left them to dry thoroughly in a dust-free environment (normally in a plastic tub that locusts come in). I have not done so for this tutorial.

The tools I will be using for the masking process are
- Steel rule
- Scalpel (with new blade)
- Tamiya tape
- An old paintbrush handle (sharpened to a point)

I use two methods of masking. I cannot claim that either is foolproof, perfect, works every time or anything else – these are just two methods I have arrived at after trying several.

METHOD 1

The first method is to use large pieces of tape to cover each transparent piece. A bit like this

I would then use my patented sharpened (but not too sharp) paintbrush handle

To press the tape into the moulded detail on the canopy parts

See the lines created by doing this

These lines are your cutting lines. If you hold the blade at 45 degrees to both surfaces you will ensure that your cut is in the best place. You can see my first cut

Then simply make your cuts all around the masked item. Once all the cuts have been made, the masking tape excess can be peeled away, leaving you with a nicely masked transparency.

We then continue to the next part to be masked and follow the same process.

You can see that over complex curves that the masking tape bunches up. It is very important to press the tape into the seam to prevent bleeding of paint back under the tape.

Once done, slice around with your blade.

More than one transparent panel at once can be masked using this method, as can be seen here

And again, careful cutting leaves us with a part ready for paint

So that is method 1. It is relatively quick and works well on many different transparent parts, especially where the moulded detail is quite heavy.

METHOD 2

My second method of masking uses less masking tape but is more time intensive and fiddly.
I start with a length of tape slightly longer the longest length of tape I will need.

I then use my scalpel and steel rule

To cut the tape into strips about 1mm wide

I never use my fingers to pick these up or hold them as the tape will lose its adhesiveness if handled too much. So I use my scalpel to ease up one end

And then some tweezers to lift the rest of the tape strip

This strip of tape is applied to the transparent part, roughly where it wants to be.

Then, only holding the ends of the tape, the strip is manoeuvred into position and pressed down firmly. Any excess length is folded up into the inside of the part to stop it interfering with any further tape that’s being added.

When you need shorter lengths, simply slice one of the strips at a convenient point.

Then add to your part

You can then do the same with the sides

Once you have surrounded your transparent section you can start cutting. The cuts need to be on the outside of where the pieces of tape overlap. Prior to cutting

After cutting

Then just peel off any excess that was wrapped over into the interior, leaving you with a transparency with a good edge

The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that there is a small 45 degree fillet that I have not cut out yet. You can see where it should be when you look through from the inside

To deal with this part, I simply apply a small strip of tape that lines up with that fillet

So on the outside, it now looks like this

And then cut where the pieces of tape overlap

Job done.

The different panels on the windscreen are dealt with in the same manner

And cut

The very front section with the curved top

Is dealt with similarly for the straight edges

But the curve I deal with slightly differently. I start with a piece of tape

I then cut the top off in a curve

I then cut another curve below the first

Which leaves me with a thin curve of tape

This piece is then applied around the curved section

I use this curved piece of tape as it if far easier to apply than using a straight piece and forcing it to go round a tight curve.

And it is all trimmed as before

For the clear section above the front windscreen I just apply one strip of tape horizontally then two smaller strips at 45 degrees.

Once trimmed, the front section of the canopy is complete

The sections of this canopy that need to be clear can be left unmasked (like this) if you can be 100% sure you won’t get paint on it, or you can use oddments of masking tape to fill in the gaps or use Maskol (or similar masking fluid).

And there we are – two masked canopies.

But of course, this isn’t the end of the story – parts need to be painted

And here they are post-painting.

There was some bleed here

And using the same sharpened paintbrush I simply push the bleed back to where it should be

Much better!

Here’s the second canopy

Again, some bleed

And again, tidied up

Issues around the front

Easily sorted

And now we have two painted canopies

Please ignore the dodgy painting – I simply slapped on a couple of coats of acrylic, where I would normally have used Klear, two coats of enamel, more Klear and then mattcote, which gives a much more consistent finish and doesn’t tend to pull away the paint when removing the masking.

I hope this has been useful.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
MerlinJones

Re: Masking For Dummies

Post by MerlinJones »

I was going to say that your results don't match your usual results! :shock:
I use similar methods to yourself, although I tend to use cocktail sticks instead of the sharpened paintbrush handle.

I always cut my wide tape into strips, because I get a lot more use out of a single wide strip of tape that way.

Wherever there's a straight edge of frame, I always use the straight edge of the tape for that particular frame. So if, for example, I needed to cut out a triangle of frame, I'd only have to cut two sides of the triangle, because one will already be nice and straight.

Afterwards, I always use a cocktail stick to 'rub out' any excess paint. I have found that paint doesn't like to stick to Klear and, if you leave things too long, the paint will peel off with the tape. Best results occur as close to the application of the paint as possible. Note, however, that 'bled' paint needs to be thoroughly dry before you try and remove it.

Reagrds,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MerlinJones wrote:Wherever there's a straight edge of frame, I always use the straight edge of the tape for that particular frame.
That was going to be my first comment. Reduce the number of cuts you have to make.

I'd avoid overlap more than two layers of tape as there there is more chance of creep and buildup.

A sharp pencil is useful to mark where you need to cut if the frame is not prominent enough to see though you may be able to feel it with your toothpick or whatever.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Thanks for this Ian, masking is always something ive avoided but may have to try the first option soon and see if i can get it to work for me.
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Nice one Ian, a great "Howdy do it?"

I get ragged edges on removing masking, and have started to try running a knife around the edge of the masking, but I'm not too accurate on it, and I'm too eager to rip the damn masking off anyway. :lol:
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nice tutorial. Well done
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Cheers Ian, :-D

I will be trying both your methods on my next two builds and will see which one works for me!

Regards

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?

Return to “Construction Tips”