STUK masking tape

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

STUK masking tape

Post by carlos »

I found this stuff in a local department store ('Boyes') which have stocked Humbrol and Vallejo products for about a year now.
Comes in rolls the same width and length as Tamiya tape, and looks the same, apart from the lack of plastic dispenser - 18 metres length x 6mm, 10mm, 18mm, and 40mm.
I bought a few rolls to try out, and as you can see from the picture, prices are cheaper than the Tamiya equivalent.

Masked up my most recent project with it (Revell 1/32 Martlet) - and it seems (to me at least) to work just as well as Tamiya tape. I'm just getting into airbrushing, and this was the first time I've ever sprayed invasion stripes and the result was excellent - I won't be using 'stripe' decals again - Canopy, and all other masked lines also turned out great.

There's twin packs in my local shop too - I'll be getting those from now, as they work out cheaper still.

Anyone in the North/North-East will probably already know about Boyes Dept. stores - and a quick look at their website shows they've also got branches in Cumbria, Yorkshire, Lincs, and a few spreading southwards into Cambs.
A quick Google, and it's available online too - though unless you buy a fair few rolls, it won't be as cheap by the time you've added postage.
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Re: STUK masking tape

Post by Brickie »

Yes, we've got a Boyes here in York - though their "Airfix" section keeps shrinking as their Games Workshop section grows. Being a few doors down from the LHS probably doesn't help their sales. But they stock Vallejo paints and the LHS doesn't, and every so often they flog off a few kits cheap because they want the shelf space...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
ian lanc
Active Participant

Post by ian lanc »

Theres a Boyes shop not far from me! Must check it out..ASAP.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TobyC »

I have got both this and Tamiya masking tape and I deliberately put them together in a box so I couldn't identify which was what and tbh I can't tell the difference between them. It's a lot cheaper so I know what I'll be buying in the future. I bought mine through Amazon.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

In my experience, the Tamiya is a bit stretchier and finer, so I continue using that for fine detail work and the STUK tape for filling holes.
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Boyes are getting loads of model stuff in these days. Some excellent ranges of paints too.

I'm going to get a load of this next week.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “Construction Tips”