Window material

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
AceSeafire
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Window material

Post by AceSeafire »

I am just in the process of building a revell dambuster lancaster and am cutting out all the windows.

Just wondered whether anyone had any good tips for what to use as the window itself? I was thinking perhaps overhead projector sheet or similar but not sure if that might be too thin?

Thanks
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Re: Window material

Post by bluesteel »

AceSeafire wrote:I am just in the process of building a revell dambuster lancaster and am cutting out all the windows.

Just wondered whether anyone had any good tips for what to use as the window itself? I was thinking perhaps overhead projector sheet or similar but not sure if that might be too thin?

Thanks
For all those small side windows I'd use Krystal Kleer or some other similar liquid glazing. Very easy to use for most smaller windows.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

OHP film works well. I often use it for windscreens in soft-skinned vehicles. Most thin transparent material in packaging works well too.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
AceSeafire
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by AceSeafire »

Thanks guys. I looked into the Krystal and decided to try out some of my daughters pva glue instead as it seemed essentially the same thing......it has worked but the windows have wrinkled slightly. Not sure if it was the glue at fault or me!! Looks ok though.

Might try adding more glue to see if I can get the wrinkles out
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

AceSeafire wrote:Thanks guys. I looked into the Krystal and decided to try out some of my daughters pva glue instead as it seemed essentially the same thing......it has worked but the windows have wrinkled slightly. Not sure if it was the glue at fault or me!! Looks ok though.

Might try adding more glue to see if I can get the wrinkles out
There are lots of different formulations of PVA glue, and I think the Krystal Kleer is better for forming the thin windows than the general purpose glue.

I've just made the windscreen for my Swordfish from three slivers of acetate packing material, and stuck them together with white glue.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by carlos »

I've also used laminating pockets to good effect on paper-models.
Just run an empty pocket through the laminator, and Presto!.... An A4 sheet of clear window material.
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

If you can not find Krystal Clear try the newer Testors clear cement. It is like a refined PVA and drys very clear.

I have also used the clear tops off greeting card boxes.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Stevekir
Getting well comfy!

Post by Stevekir »

AceSeafire wrote:I am just in the process of building a revell dambuster lancaster and am cutting out all the windows.
Thanks
I will be starting the same kit in the early Summer (I assume it is the same: 04296, 1/72).

I have had a look at the fuselage and wonder why it would be necessary to "cut out all the windows". They are already cut out. That is, I can poke something through them. Because of the thinning of the plastic around the strips of windows, why can't a few strips of some transparent plastic be fitted inside?
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Be aware that for this type of application, PVA tends to dry out and fall apart in low humidity environments.

Of course, if you live in Britain, you will have no idea what I'm talking about...

My two-year-old Stirling looks as if the vandals have been at her. :sad:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Stevekir wrote:I have had a look at the fuselage and wonder why it would be necessary to "cut out all the windows". They are already cut out. That is, I can poke something through them. Because of the thinning of the plastic around the strips of windows, why can't a few strips of some transparent plastic be fitted inside?
The glass on the actual aircraft was (near as darn it) flush with the skin. If one was to stick a strip of plastic to the interior of the kit fuselage, it wouldn't be flush with the outside due to the thickness (however thin) of the fuselage plastic.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Stevekir
Getting well comfy!

Post by Stevekir »

PaulBradley wrote: The glass on the actual aircraft was (near as darn it) flush with the skin. If one was to stick a strip of plastic to the interior of the kit fuselage, it wouldn't be flush with the outside due to the thickness (however thin) of the fuselage plastic.
My model shop demonstrated to me a while back a method of glazing windows which involved putting a dab of Humbrol Precision Poly Cement (in a yellow plastic bottle with a needle spout) in a corner of the window and dragging it to the far corner, which stretched out a thin film of clear cement. But perhaps it is too fragile for use near external surfaces.

BTW: Why did the Lanc have so many windows?

Return to “Construction Tips”