HU color chart

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
gomergizmo
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: HU color chart

Post by gomergizmo »

Here is another couple shots. Not real pleased with the work this afternoon. Made some errors. Under the hood was a mess so I took some black chalk and dry dusted so the lines didnt look too bad. Also when the clear coat went on it should have been filtered and thinned. ooops. It's orange peeled now. Either a lot of sanding or just admit the mistakes.

Professor Polarbear
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

Wanna thank you guys for the color chart. Has really helped me today. Here was a little more done. Not going to post any more on this until it is finished. It aint Airfix, it dont belong, period. These pictures were taken in the dark with flash. Came out kind of nice.

Professor Polarbear
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

If it's a kit being built, it belongs here! :)
Up in the Great White North
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

As Andrew says, you don't need to worry about it not being an Airfix. We (as a community) build kits from every manufacturer under the sun.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Cor, that brings bang memories...

All we need know is Mr T's van :-)

Nice work
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

Ok, little more done today. Have to wait now for a windshield from MPC. One in the kit was cracked. Cannot finish the kit until it arrives. Also set out the paint so you can see what there is to work with so far. Bottles are airbrush ready, tubes need mixing.

Professor Polarbear
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work on the car. Re the tubes of acrylic, do you just squeeze some paint out and thin with water? They seem to give a nice smooth finish.

Nigel
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

Re the tubes of acrylic, do you just squeeze some paint out and thin with water?
Pretty much but it is a little more complicated than that. The first coat of orange was mixed equal parts of pigment, sealer and water. The second coat was orange with a drop of raw umber to darken it then equal parts of flow medium and water. The paints in the bottles are what they call airbrush ready but in this case, for models it does require some minor thinning. The six bottles on the left are a new product. Polyurathane. The tubes and bottles are inter-mixable. Nice thing is the poly dries almost on contact and makes me wonder if it might even dry before it hits the surface.

One factor. When mixing with a motorized mixer like the one pictured below, it causes the paint to become a fine froth. Almost like whipped cream. But after a few minutes it settles down. Clogging on the tip is minimal. Clean-up is fast.

The pigments themselves are very strong. It takes a lot of thinning to dull them. If you look at the hood you can see it is darker than the rest of the body. The hood was white. In the one picture you can see the underside has black added. This black actually changed the shade of the orange on the top side.

On the workbench now is a Mig 15 being done in Hungarian colors. Will be posting results on that subject.

Thanks for asking.
Professor Polarbear

Return to “Construction Tips”