Baking soda- vinegar wash

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
gomergizmo
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Baking soda- vinegar wash

Post by gomergizmo »

Just curious. If you were to put a mix of vinegar and water in a plastic dish then added a teaspoon of baking soda would it do a good job of taking injection molding residue off? Would it also leave a nice flat almost scuffed finish?

AndrewR, you are the fizz-a-sist. :ha:
Professor Polarbear
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Baking soda- vinegar wash

Post by AndrewR »

Pity it's a chemistry question :ha: Oh, hang on a minute, I used to be a chemist before I was called to the dark side...

You'll get a lot of fizzing and heat generated as the acetic acid in the vinegar neutralizes the alkaline sodium bicarbonate. The heat produced will make the solution warm. It might help remove oily residue, but washing in warm soapy water would be more effective. But much less fun... :ha:

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

Cant blame me for wanting to be a redneck chemist. Might just give it a whirl on something that I messed up one time. Probably get shot for this one but, but here goes, a Tamiya RNS Harrier FRS.1.
Professor Polarbear
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

This F6F build is coming along. Took a large margerine tub added some warm water and baking soda. Washed all the parts with a one inch paintbrush. Then took about half a cup of vinegar and poured it into the baking soda and water. It fizzed for a minute. Cleaned up with warm water and let things dry. Today was a coat of sealer and black paint. Seems the paint adhered very well. The nice thing about the JoSonja carbon black is that is is black. Very black. Going to be interesting to see how the orange goes on and covers the black. The main point is the wash mentioned here seemed to have worked very well.

Professor Polarbear
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

That really is black, blacker than black! I usually add a little blue to my black for painting night fighters. I've seen people add a little red as well. I hope the orange covers that!

cheers

Andrew
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

I hope the orange covers that!
I think you saw the orange is certainly orange too Andrew. Will probably need to be done in stages. Fine coats and let them dry well. Unless there is another way. Maybe hit it with grey first?
Professor Polarbear
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Polarbear wrote:
I hope the orange covers that!
I think you saw the orange is certainly orange too Andrew. Will probably need to be done in stages. Fine coats and let them dry well. Unless there is another way. Maybe hit it with grey first?
I'd try directly with the orange, given the intensity of the pigments!
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Whoa, nice black. All the emo modellers are going to like this one (Got any blacker dude?)

Nigel

Return to “Construction Tips”