Blockages

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
IrishAir
Active Participant

Blockages

Post by IrishAir »

Don't know if this happens to any of you guys but after I use precision glue (mainly Humbrol) a blockage forms in the tube. The only way I have found to resolve this is the hold the tube over afalme. This of course is dangerous as the glue ignites very spontaneously, I do not like having to repeat this process over and over agains so I'm wondering whether anybody elese has a better solution?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
MerlinJones

Re: Blockages

Post by MerlinJones »

A common problem, often resolved by using a long pin.

You're just asking for a very nasty accident with fire! :shock:

Regards,
Bruce
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I have a length of very thin brass tube to unblock glue tubes, works for normal and super-glues. But I have drilled out super-glue tubes in the past when it's set so hard even the rod wouldn't remove it. But you must wipe the drill bit immediately on extraction or solidifying super-glue will ruin it.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
Desert_fox
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Desert_fox »

I remember the day I got my first pot of precision glue - I was a freshfaced pre-teen and it made me feel like a 'proper' modeller, not having to use the tubes that came free in all the Airfix kits I got as a kid. And then the very first use it blocked. I thought it was my clumsiness, but after a while I realised that it just seemed to happen no matter what I did. Unfortunately, apart from using a needle, I never did find a suitable way to break the blockage. Now I like to use glue with a brush applicator - no blockages possible!!! Of course, that doesn't help when you need especially precise applications - so the old trick of raiding my mum's sewing box and hoping she doesn't notice the missing needles still has to suffice.
Will write history dissertations for modelling supplies...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

The trick is to run the pin through right after you glue, not the next time. Keep the bottle upright, give it a few swabs with the pin, put the cap on, and put it away standing up. Wipe down the pin & use it again. You masy eventually get a clog, but it'll be a long way off.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

Tap up guitar playing friends for their old strings. The unwound ones are good for cleaning the nozzles out and the wound strings make good oxygen hoses. Better still, take up guitar yourself.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The wire in bag/cable ties is cheap, available and fits.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
IrishAir
Active Participant

Post by IrishAir »

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I will go for the pin method as it is more efficent as I have some left over from when I had to do Home Economics in first year.

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
carlos

Post by carlos »

Try to get into the habit of tapping the bottle on the table a few times after each use - works a treat for Revell Contacta bottles.
And on the very rare occasion I get a blockage these days - I have some copper strands I stripped out of an electrical wire.
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Desert_fox

Post by Desert_fox »

flakmonkey wrote:Tap up guitar playing friends for their old strings. The unwound ones are good for cleaning the nozzles out and the wound strings make good oxygen hoses. Better still, take up guitar yourself.
You don't say? I've been playing guitar for 6 years and never thought to do that! Next time I change my strings, I'm definately saving some 8-)
Will write history dissertations for modelling supplies...
migdriver

Post by migdriver »

Just leave the pin in. in between sessionns.
THE COSMIC JESTER IS WATCHING !!!

Return to “Construction Tips”