Rigging and rivets ?

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Chuck E
Established 1949

Rigging and rivets ?

Post by Chuck E »

I know you'll be conversant with the old stretched sprue for rigging, but I had a couple of ideas that I've just tried out and seem to be a good way of doing the job.
You can use the usual sprue, or use fishing line. The line I used was only about 1LB and was a bit thin for 1/48, but for 1/72 it should be ok. I'll get some heavier line when I'm in town.

I just pushed the end towards the candle flame and it mushroomed over perfectly. I pressed it through the hole in the wing and added a little 'Superglue' to the sprue under the head. It pulled nicely into place leaving the head showing. I pulled it into the other hole and added a bit more glue. I hung a set of clips onto the sprue while it set and then just trimmed the tip off. The little head can then be trimmed off flush and pained over. The fishing line worked well, though some sprue may snap, not being as flexible or as strong. It also makes nice rivet heads for various uses. Just drill into the plastic and then drop the rivet right through. Cut it off under the plate as required.

Using sprue on the straight wires works well. The angled ones are best done with with the fishing line.

Here's a little sketch. ( Just like the ones that Stan Catchpole used to do. Remember him ? )

So many models, so little time.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rigging and rivets ?

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks for that. Rigging has always terrified me but I may give this a go.

David
bobblelink
Active Participant

Re: Rigging and rivets ?

Post by bobblelink »

I've rigged a lot of planes with sprue, but it doesn't really work on anything over 1/48th; I've yet to pluck up the courage to use thread, but this really helps
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17

Return to “Construction Tips”