AKAN paint

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Blue Elephant
Getting well comfy!

AKAN paint

Post by Blue Elephant »

Has anyone tried these Russian "Akan" acrylic paints, which seem to fill a void in modelling,as Soviet aircraft colours always seemed a mystery? Do they spray well, and what would be a good starting pressure?
novokits
Active Participant

Re: AKAN paint

Post by novokits »

I used these paints many years ago. Poor quality, I don't recommend.
If it is interesting to you, look here http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/vie ... art_0.html; it in Russian. Google translate for help..
Snorry
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Snorry »

I still use Akan acrylic-urethane enamels (not water-based) only for I bought many (100+) for just 30 cent a bottle. In fact this is Dupont Duxon automotive paint mixed to match colour standard (FS, RAL, etc) or something that resemble original paint. Quality of Akan is far behind of Gunze or Tamiya, it dries for days and even after you can leave your fingerprints on painted surface. То prevent that people mixed that paint with warnish or used Duxon hardener but this is tricky.
As for water-based paints, they said that they even worse - but I never tried them/ Indeed better try something other - especially considering russian colours for no one really knows what the real shades they was...
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

I have some AKAN paints that I bought for their authentic Russian colours. So far I've only used the cockpit green colour applied with a brush but I found the paint to be very good with excellent coverage and easy application.

This was achieved with a single brush coat for the blue/green.

I have yet to try the other colours or to use them in an airbrush but , if the brush painting is anything to go by then I'm really looking forward to using them.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Construction Tips”