Of Brass and Men

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Blue Elephant
Getting well comfy!

Of Brass and Men

Post by Blue Elephant »

I've got an Airwaves etc set for the old Revell Bleneim Mark I..................I'm secretly a masochist. I know I'll need to use CA to hold it all together, but I'm also aware I need to anneal it before using, so the things won't spring apart under pressure--esp.the "curved" bits. I am curious to know about this annealing process......how much do I heat the fret and , am I able to use my wife's butane Brule torch to do the job?
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Of Brass and Men

Post by AndrewR »

You might find this discussion thread useful.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... hoto-etch/;

I use a candle to anneal bits that might need curling up, like perforated gun barrel sleeves. Gentle heat is enough for thin brass. Straight folds don't really need annealing.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

No idea if it's really necessary, but basically, as long as you don't melt the brass or heat it to the point where it become malleable, you should be OK.
AndrewR wrote:You might find this discussion thread useful.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... hoto-etch/;
The thread implies you could temper brass, but that is nonsense. However, not all metals used for photo etch are brass, and if there iron or something similar in there, heating and force cooling will make the metal brittle, as stated in the thread. With brass, it's quite OK to dunk it after heating.

If you want lots of details on annealing of brass, look at the various rifle shooters websites; rifle shells get treated like this all the time.
Blue Elephant
Getting well comfy!

Post by Blue Elephant »

good point AndrewR..........I used to be a firearms user/owner but never got around to "rolling my own" cartridges so I'll take a look-see

Return to “Construction Tips”