A couple of Airbrush questions

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

A couple of Airbrush questions

Post by Brickie »

So I've finally taken the plunge and used some of my Christmas money on a cheap airbrush/compresser set off eBay.

It being a cheap set, instructions and so on are pretty minimal, but obviously there's plenty of good stuff out there on t'internet, so I really just want to make sure I've thought of everything I'll need:

* Airbrush and compressor, obv
* Paint and thinning medium (in this case I have some Tamiya thinner and Tamiya paints, so that should work)
* Something to clean it with (More Tamiya thinner, unless something cheaper will work?)
* Something to spray the cleaning fluid into.
* A well-ventilated place to do it and a fume mask (is this as important when spraying acrylics as with solvent-based enamels?)

That's the absolute basics, as far as I can tell: there's plenty of extras you can get but that's what you actually *need*...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: A couple of Airbrush questions

Post by fredk »

I use a cardboard box as a spray booth. It catches overspray and I can checkout spray pattern/size/density on one of the side flaps.
A mask is just as important with acrylics. They dry hard too. Don't want that in your lungs or nose.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: A couple of Airbrush questions

Post by Ratch »

I use Vallejo Model Air paints, no thinning required. Flush the airbrush after with plain water and a finial flush with their airbrush cleaner. I also smear a little Superlube on the needle when I put it back ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Finishing Tips”