bent brushes

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

bent brushes

Post by rob_van_riel »

Sooner or later, the tips of all my brushes go from perfectly straight, to somewhat curved. Admittedly, this can have it's uses, but usually, a straight point is what you want. Does anyone know what causes this, and how to stop it from happening? Or is this the price you pay for taking sufficiently good care of the brushes that you don't have to throw them away as clumps of dried out paint after a few months?
iggie

Re: bent brushes

Post by iggie »

I have two favourite brushes; both are the red ends of the Revell double ended brushes you get in their starter sets.... the blue ends are rubbish and got thrown away early days.
Both are at least 5 years old, have lost a few hairs but still work nicely. I don't think they were good enough to go curvey with age!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
59North

Post by 59North »

I once had a jar of brush reconditioner gel that I got from a craft big box store (Micheals). That stuff did the job; made my brushes new again.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I try to ensure the brush is thoroughly cleaned.
I put the bristles in my mouth after cleaning to shape them back into a point.
I then insert the brush back into the plastic ferrule to keep its shape.
I never store brushes point down and I don't let them stand in the cleaning jar too long.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Finishing Tips”