primer issue/ question

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
OllieSmith
Active Participant

primer issue/ question

Post by OllieSmith »

Hello guys, though I'd join up as indulging in a return to the hobby after a fair few years!!!!
Having an issue with priming my aircraft- I invested in an h&s airbrush and using humbrol acrylics which is all new to me as was an enamel guy/hairy stick back in the day. Using a cheap acrylic primer and the last two models I've sprayed I have primed, when I removed the masking tape, it took the paint and primer with it!!!! Was not happy after spending hours spraying :/
Going to wash future models and lightly scrub with scotch pad which I've been told will help, invested in some humbrol no1 spray and also hycote plastic primer, will better quality primer make a difference? am I on the right path? Any tips, hints, pointers needed from your experience as I don't want this to happen again!!!
Look foreward to your replies guys and girls :)
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Re: primer issue/ question

Post by bluesteel »

I use Halfords Grey Primer and haven't had any adhesion problems yet. Just washing in soapy water might solve the issue if remnant release agent is at fault here.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by general rocket »

Citadel Chaos Black in a rattle can. Never let me down yet.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
OllieSmith
Active Participant

Post by OllieSmith »

Cheers guys :) I've heard a lot about the halfords stuff and my bro uses the citadel black for his models so if all current trials fail, will give one or both of those a go!!! Many thanks :)
fredk

Post by fredk »

I use a generic grey or white car primer, meant for plastics. I'm happier that its a 'plastic' primer as I've had disasters with the ordinary primer dissolving my model. Others have had no such problems with the Halford ones.
A clean model helps but you dont have to be surgically clean. No need to use a paint prep pad or tac cloth.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I use either Tamiya acrylics as both top coats and primer or I sometimes go down the Halfords rattle can route. I avoid using Humbrol acrylics at all after a few catastrophic problems.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I use Vallejo acrylic primer and then airbrush Vallejo acrylics over them. Best results if the plastic is washed using an old toothbrush in warm soapy water first. This degreases the surface - water based acrylics do not stick properly to greasy surfaces.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Finishing Tips”