Vallejo Surface Primer problem

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Jim
Getting well comfy!

Vallejo Surface Primer problem

Post by Jim »

Hi Folks
I've been using the above acrylic/polyurethane primer quite happily for a while now, usually through my (cheapo) bottom feed airbrush, with just a drop of retarder to help things along. Last week however, it started to clog after a few seconds, then eventually, would not spray at all, even after a thorough clean of the airbrush (using Vallejo's own cleaner).

After another painstaking cleaning session, I added a bit more retarder and a drop of water and increased the pressure, but still no spray. So I tried it through my other Side Feed airbrush (they came with the compressor). This too clogged straight away. Then, "to put the tin hat on it", to quote my dear old Mum, I snapped off the jet when I was re-assembling it after cleaning! :cry: The only good thing about this fiasco is that I am now the proud owner of a shiny new Iwata Neo!

I am really wary about using the stuff again, and intend decanting some Halfords Acyllic primer to finish off the current job. Has anybody else had similar problems and/or an explanation for why this has occurred ? The only one I could think of is that the paint has "gone off" somehow. All such products have a shelf life I know, but I have had this bottle for less than a year.

Regards and Happy Christmas

Jim
Jim
Getting well comfy!

Re: Vallejo Surface Primer problem

Post by Jim »

PS

It's the Grey Surface Primer, I should have said.

Sorry

Jim
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Sounds like there might be lumps in the paint. There is an old trick of filtering it through an old pair of tights.

Did you try other paint in the old airbrushes?
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Jim
Getting well comfy!

Post by Jim »

Hi James,
no, not paint, but they sprayed water/cleaner OK and were clean as a whistle (What a strange expression!) before I tried the primer each time. I did wonder if the paint had started to cure in the bottle. I hadn't thought of filtering the primer, thanks for the tip. I'm sure Mrs Jim has a few old pairs I could use.

Thanks for the prompt reply

Regards

Jim

Return to “Finishing Tips”