Are the cheap air brush kits any good?

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
alshookup
starter kit

Are the cheap air brush kits any good?

Post by alshookup »

Hello, I am thinking of having a bash at modelling and am looking to buy the following kit...airfix a20440 1930 4.5 litre Bentley scale 1:12.
Using a paint brush and standard paint would no doubt spoil the finished effect so I wondered if I bought a cheap airbrush kit from ebay, if it would do the job and also would like to know if special paint is needed when using these airbrushing kits?
thanks
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Are the cheap air brush kits any good?

Post by TobyC »

It's like anything you pay for what you get. I bought a cheap set up off Amazon a couple of years back all up for £60 odd and it came with two airbrushes. The compressor still works but the brushes are long gone for something a lot better. I'd recommend Vallejo model air acrylic paints. They are ready to use with no need to thin and being acrylic it makes cleaning everything a lot easier usually with only water.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
montessa315

Post by montessa315 »

Totally agree with TobyC.
Bought the same sort of compressor setup from ebay 5 years ago. Got rid of the airbrushes but the compressor is still going. Get a compressor with a built in tank.
I use Harder & Steenbeck airbrushes, for which spares are available and had them for 5 years as well. Still going great.

Have a look at Little-cars. http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/;

I also have always used Vallejo Model Air acrylic paints and would highly recommend them. Found car screen wash does a better job than water for cleaning.

Alan...........
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I've used the same simple Paasche H airbrush I started with over 15 years ago....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
alshookup
starter kit

Post by alshookup »

Thanks to all, you have given me something to think about.
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Here's a review vid of a cheapie that I stumbled on yesterday:
alshookup
starter kit

Post by alshookup »

I didn't realise just how expensive the airbrush compressors are so I may well stick to hand brushing the paint on the Bentley blower. Will it spoil the effect too much do you think?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Practice with multiple coats of well-mixed, thinned paint, applied with a good brush of proper size/shape for the particular surface that is well-cleaned and stored between uses. Don't forget primer and don't forget to let each coat dry well before the next. Micro-mesh to polish out flaws.

For a really big surface - like an entire car body in a single color - look at rattle-can paint. Then do the details by brush.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
alshookup
starter kit

Post by alshookup »

Thanks for your response jRatz but are you referring to a proper Bentley car as I am on about a model (airfix a20440 1930 4.5 litre Bentley scale 1:12)?
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

I'd imagine he's talking about a model, since this is a modelling forum. :mrgreen:

But yes, especially for things like car bodywork where you want to get as smooth and even a finish as possible, your best bet is a rattlecan - just be aware that the paint coming out of one is often a *slightly* different colour and/or finish to the equivalent brushed on from a pot.

For example, on this plane I did a few years ago, both the greens are Humbrol number 88 - the paler shade has come out of a can, the darker shade out of a paint-pot.

"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
alshookup
starter kit

Post by alshookup »

Thanks for helpful advice.

Return to “Finishing Tips”