Inter-war Biplanes - siver airframe v silver engine cowling

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Inter-war Biplanes - siver airframe v silver engine cowling

Post by CementNotGlue »

In a hobby shop I spotted Rub-'n'-Buff for £6.

Surely a good finish can be achieved, differentiating between the silver of the airframe and the silver of the polished engine cowling with the 3 Humbrol versions of silver enamel on offer?

It's 1/72 and yes, I have an airbrush. I have never used acrylic before.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Inter-war Biplanes - siver airframe v silver engine cow

Post by AndrewR »

CementNotGlue wrote:In a hobby shop I spotted Rub-'n'-Buff for £6.

Surely a good finish can be achieved, differentiating between the silver of the airframe and the silver of the polished engine cowling with the 3 Humbrol versions of silver enamel on offer?

It's 1/72 and yes, I have an airbrush. I have never used acrylic before.
I usually mix a little medium sea grey into aluminium for the airframe, and use neat aluminium for the engine. I use Vallejo Air acrylics. The grey just dulls down the aluminium a little to give a contrast.
Up in the Great White North
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I used to use R&B quite a bit. It gives a good finish but it likes to be the last thing you put on a model. It doesn't like having tape put over it to mask another color, and it can react in unpredictable ways to clear overcoats. It is also never quite done buffing off the model and a bit will come off on your hands forever if you handle it. Used with those parameters in mind it can look quite nice. However, with so many different metal finishes out there I have not used it for quite a few years.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

Rub and Buff was all the rage in the 1970s. I remember Ray Rimmell using it a lot in his builds in Scale Models and the part work "!Wings" - which I still have.

It has been superseded by much better alternatives since those days.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I always use Citadel Mithril Silver for interwar fabric, and usually Metalcote Polished Aluminium for the metal bits. Just remember to check your references... some of those highly polished cowls we see today were actually painted grey back in the day...

bestest,
M.

Return to “Finishing Tips”