Unidentified Airbrush - anybody got any ideas?

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
SBO
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Unidentified Airbrush - anybody got any ideas?

Post by SBO »

I mentioned in my welcome post on this forum that I want to move from painting with a stick with hairs attached to airbrushing, and that the only thing holding me back was budget. Well a relation of mine found an airbrush they did not want lurking down the back of a cupboard somewhere and kindly donated it. I am afraid that I have absolutely no idea what make or model it is, though I can tell you it is a double action gravity fed airbrush with a nozzle diameter of 0.2mm or 0.3mm depending on what nose attachment you use. There was also a hose with it. Excited to get home and try it out, I purchased a humbrol air propellant can (budget does not permit a compressor yet I'm afraid!) only to discover that the hose does not fit the can. It appears to have two female ends, and as only the airbrush has a male connector this is obviously a problem! So my questions to you are thus:

1) Does anybody know of any cheap connector I could use to marry the hose to the can? When I can afford a compressor, will the hose fit it or will I need a connector for this too?
2) Based upon the following photographs, can anybody enlighten me as to what kind of airbrush I own?!? It does not appear to be used at all so identification may be possible...

This is the brush itself:

These are the 'incredibly useful' instructions supplied (to be fair they do let you know how to use and clean the brush - but I was hoping it would tell me the make and model number!!!):

And the whole thing is presented in this rather fetching presentation box:

Is anybody able to identify this airbrush and put the mystery to bed? I would love to know if I had a decent airbrush on my hands or an absolute pig hahaha.

Thanks!

SBO
My modelling Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mattscalemodels/
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Unidentified Airbrush - anybody got any ideas?

Post by iggie »

It looks like a generic copy probably from China but should give you a start into the mysteries of airbrushing. I suspect if you unscrew the spigot connection you should find the hose will then connect ok.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
SBO

Post by SBO »

Ah, the Chinese certainly are industrious when it comes to creating affordable knock offs for people like me :ha:

Regarding the connection, I do have to take the spigot connection off to connect it to the hose, but that is not where the problem lies. It is the other end of the hose I am having problems with, as it does not marry up to the can :-|

Thanks,

SBO
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

SBO wrote:Is anybody able to identify this airbrush and put the mystery to bed? I would love to know if I had a decent airbrush on my hands or an absolute pig hahaha.
It's a Fengda 135C (guessing the C here; the letter indicates the size and shape of the paint cup, everyting else is the same between the models). As you've surmised, cheap Chinese stuff. They are remarkably similar to (but not parts-compatible with) the Tauro airbrushes, but since I have no idea where those are made or by whom, I won't call them knock-offs (could be two brands from a single company).
I've been using a pair of 135s for years now, and I'm quite happy with them. The trigger seems a little less smooth than on some of the better airbrushes I've used, but it rarely matters enough to grab a better brush given my limited skills. Never did find replacement parts for them, but the complete brush costs about the same or less as a new needle plus nozzle for something fancier...
fredk

Post by fredk »

SBO wrote:Regarding the connection, I do have to take the spigot connection off to connect it to the hose, but that is not where the problem lies. It is the other end of the hose I am having problems with, as it does not marry up to the can
Show me a photo of the two bits to be connected and I may be able to tell you what you need.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
SBO

Post by SBO »

fredk wrote:
SBO wrote:Regarding the connection, I do have to take the spigot connection off to connect it to the hose, but that is not where the problem lies. It is the other end of the hose I am having problems with, as it does not marry up to the can
Show me a photo of the two bits to be connected and I may be able to tell you what you need.
Thanks! Here is a photograph of the two parts side by side:

rob_van_riel wrote:
SBO wrote:Is anybody able to identify this airbrush and put the mystery to bed? I would love to know if I had a decent airbrush on my hands or an absolute pig hahaha.
It's a Fengda 135C (guessing the C here; the letter indicates the size and shape of the paint cup, everyting else is the same between the models). As you've surmised, cheap Chinese stuff. They are remarkably similar to (but not parts-compatible with) the Tauro airbrushes, but since I have no idea where those are made or by whom, I won't call them knock-offs (could be two brands from a single company).
I've been using a pair of 135s for years now, and I'm quite happy with them. The trigger seems a little less smooth than on some of the better airbrushes I've used, but it rarely matters enough to grab a better brush given my limited skills. Never did find replacement parts for them, but the complete brush costs about the same or less as a new needle plus nozzle for something fancier...
Excellent, thanks for that! I had rather suspected it would not be a great airbrush, but I certainly think it is good enough for me to learn the vagaries of airbrushing on. just so long as I can get the darn thing to work! :ha:
fredk

Post by fredk »

okay - the bit in your hand is a standard compressor fitting. The air-can is a normal one. You'll need a regulator fitting for the top of the can.
Give me a short time till I search up the parts and get links sorted.
You'll have to remove that fitting from the hose to fit another one on - one that will screw on to the regulator.

If you intend to go into airbrushes; I replaced the fittings on all my air brushes - 4 a/b with 3 diffirent fittings - with a single type push in quick release.

back soon.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Here is the regulator. It goes on top of the can, the knob helps regulate the air coming out. The fitting on the side goes to the hose. This size is commonly called 'Badger' as Badger airbrushes all have that size.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-PROP ... 33a68e262e;

I'm having difficulty finding an adapter to go on your hose to fit to the regulator. You may need to get a new hose complete with fitting M5/Badger one end and cut the other end fitting off and fit your airbrush fitting into the hose.

This may be a Badger hose fitting;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coupling-Nipp ... 35ec095296;

This is the problem of having a non-main type of airbrush. They are cheap but you end up spending so much extra getting the fittings to join them to the air supply. Its not just the Chinese clones, but also some of the top makes have odd hose fittings.
SBO

Post by SBO »

Sir, I cannot thank you enough for this. I really appreciate the effort you have gone to! Hopefully now I can get down to some airbrushing Royal Mail permitting :ha:
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I used one of those airbrushes for some time and they are not bad for the price and make a good starter kit, for when you just want to have a go but not spend much.

You will soon fine the cost of a compressor will be recovered quickly once you get the bug for working with an airbrush as tinned air works out expensive in the long run.

Tamiya acrylic paints are great for airbrushing as they dry quick, but you need to use their thinners as its alcohol based not water based, remember to thin your paint to the same consistency as skimmed milk and you won't go far wrong.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
SBO

Post by SBO »

splash wrote:I used one of those airbrushes for some time and they are not bad for the price and make a good starter kit, for when you just want to have a go but not spend much.

You will soon fine the cost of a compressor will be recovered quickly once you get the bug for working with an airbrush as tinned air works out expensive in the long run.

Tamiya acrylic paints are great for airbrushing as they dry quick, but you need to use their thinners as its alcohol based not water based, remember to thin your paint to the same consistency as skimmed milk and you won't go far wrong.

Regards Splash
Will do :-D

Honestly, I had expected this place to be full of friendly people who are willing to help but the response to this has been beyond what I expected. I am blown away by how enthusiastic you all are for the hobby and how willing you are to pass that on to others like myself. Probably the wrong place to say that, but this thread is where I have benefited from it the most. So thanks!!!!!! :beer:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

splash wrote:You will soon fine the cost of a compressor will be recovered quickly once you get the bug for working with an airbrush as tinned air works out expensive in the long run.
Not only that, but you'll find a compressor is a far more reliable pressure source. Cans tend to drop pressure quickly as their temperature drops during use (you may actually find ice forming on the outside of the can), which may may you have to stop halfway through a job, and either leave the airbrush uncleaned while you wait for the temperature to rise again (really bad idea), or have several can on standby and switch to a new one eacht time the current one drops off. Of course, they also lose pressure when they become empty, typically are very inconvenient times..

Return to “Finishing Tips”