A little basic 101 painting info required please...

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Evna_uk
starter kit

A little basic 101 painting info required please...

Post by Evna_uk »

Hi,
Now back into modelling after a long break of 3+ decades and have over the last couple of months completed my first two models (Airfix Spitfire 1a and Me Bf 109E in 1/72) which had been started way back in the late 70's so I didn't ruin anything from new. Despite finding that building something with small parts like these was fairly hard for me now (arthritic hands and the eyesight) I have enjoyed it. Luckily I have mostly larger 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 and 1/24 in the stash. Whilst building these first couple I have used Halfords Grey Plastic Primer and then hand painted using my ageing Humbrol enamels and I am happy with the finish of them on these first attempts though it is apparent to me that the enamels are getting past their use by date needing lots of stiring etc but as I have a large stock of these enamels I want to try and use them on these 'practice kits' as I hate waste. I enjoy the spraying of the primer and am seriously considering an airbrush as things move on and whilst I still have other part built items to finsih I think they will allow me some valuable practice time.

In the meantime, I am starting an Airfix 1/72 Fairey Battle out of the box which will be camo scheme on top and all matt black underneath, my first question is would it be wise or not to use a spray Matt Black to primer the whole aircraft initially and then paint the camo scheme on the upper surface afterwards or should I stick with the grey all over intially if this is anything like painting cars (in real life) then the undercoat/primer colour can have an impact on the top coat, I am assuming this may be the same with the models too?

Secondly, when doing camo with an airbush, does one spray all over with the lighter of the colours first and then mask off and spray on the darker colour seems logical as having to mask up twice seems too time consuming? I am considering giving spray cans a go with this build before committing to the outlay for an airbrush and compressor. I have, some years ago tried Humbrol spray cans but never found them brilliant as they always seemed to spit a little, but maybe thyey have improved nowadays.

Anyway sorry to babble on a bit, I have lots of questions but also trying to find the answers by reading on the web etc first... it must be annoying when folks ask similar questions again and again in forums. Thanks in advance for any advice, all welcome.
Ian
Hey, nice marmot!
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: A little basic 101 painting info required please...

Post by DavidWomby »

Hello and welcome, Ian.

I am far from expert and others who are better modellers will respond too but here's my thoughts.

A lot of people use acrylic paint now but I would use up the old Humbrol enamels. Some may be dried out if the lids were not well sealed but, basically, Humbrol enamel in tins can last forever. Just make sure it is thoroughly stirred and thin it slightly , if necessary.

Using a spray can for priming or large area coverage is great. An airbrush can obviously do smaller areas and produces a lovely finish but will require you to do a lot of masking to avoid oversprays. You may already be masking using the paintbrush but if you're not, it's a whole other step to add to the painting process!! Just something to consider. Also, with any spraying some lung protection is, of course, recommended - a spray booth and or mask.

Typically, I do apply lighter colours first when doing camo.

I don't think the black as a primer will make a noticeable difference to the darkness of the camo applied on top of it. I would probably do that to avoid the grey primer step (but I am a lazy modeller) but you can try an experiment of a piece of spare plastic if you want to be sure.

David

PS - nice XJ on your avatar!!!
Evna_uk wrote:Hi,
Now back into modelling after a long break of 3+ decades and have over the last couple of months completed my first two models (Airfix Spitfire 1a and Me Bf 109E in 1/72) which had been started way back in the late 70's so I didn't ruin anything from new. Despite finding that building something with small parts like these was fairly hard for me now (arthritic hands and the eyesight) I have enjoyed it. Luckily I have mostly larger 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 and 1/24 in the stash. Whilst building these first couple I have used Halfords Grey Plastic Primer and then hand painted using my ageing Humbrol enamels and I am happy with the finish of them on these first attempts though it is apparent to me that the enamels are getting past their use by date needing lots of stiring etc but as I have a large stock of these enamels I want to try and use them on these 'practice kits' as I hate waste. I enjoy the spraying of the primer and am seriously considering an airbrush as things move on and whilst I still have other part built items to finsih I think they will allow me some valuable practice time.

In the meantime, I am starting an Airfix 1/72 Fairey Battle out of the box which will be camo scheme on top and all matt black underneath, my first question is would it be wise or not to use a spray Matt Black to primer the whole aircraft initially and then paint the camo scheme on the upper surface afterwards or should I stick with the grey all over intially if this is anything like painting cars (in real life) then the undercoat/primer colour can have an impact on the top coat, I am assuming this may be the same with the models too?

Secondly, when doing camo with an airbush, does one spray all over with the lighter of the colours first and then mask off and spray on the darker colour seems logical as having to mask up twice seems too time consuming? I am considering giving spray cans a go with this build before committing to the outlay for an airbrush and compressor. I have, some years ago tried Humbrol spray cans but never found them brilliant as they always seemed to spit a little, but maybe thyey have improved nowadays.

Anyway sorry to babble on a bit, I have lots of questions but also trying to find the answers by reading on the web etc first... it must be annoying when folks ask similar questions again and again in forums. Thanks in advance for any advice, all welcome.
Ian
iggie

Post by iggie »

Not much to add from David's advice above, except to say that as far as camo is concerned, spray the base (typically the lighter) colour all over, then mask up (or free-hand) and apply the second colour on top.

Using black overall would probably not be an issue with a Brown/Green scheme, but you may find that by the time you've covered it fully on the top side that you have quite a thickness of paints.

Ikea do a small battery powered coffee frother that if you remove the spring works well as a paint stirrer, although I'm not sure if it will fit in enamel tins....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Evna_uk
starter kit

Post by Evna_uk »

Thanks to David and iggie for your responses.

I haven't tried acrylic yet, have a couple of gift sets in the stash which have the Humbrol Acrylic pots in am I right in thinking they are easier to work with, clean brushes in water etc? I'm not sure it's lazy modelling David, it's definately more time efficient I think :-)
iggie the paint thinckness issue was the reason I was considering spraying with primer and maybe then spraying the camo... brush painting after priming the Spitfire produced a thicker finish than I really wanted but I thinned the enamels for the Me 109 and was much happier with the results... but this required me doing a couple of test try's on a couple of old unpainted models to try out the amount of thinning required so I didn't have to do a couple of coats and as the Me 109's camo was all straight lines I didn't do any overlap just masked to the lines of the first colour. Oddly I find stirring the little enamel pots very familiar and relaxing and has created some enjoyable nostalgic moments amd memories.

David the XJ is similar to my own XJR but not the actual one I own, I think thats off some Jaguar promotional material online. Thanks again both, I'm sure there will be more to follow !!
Hey, nice marmot!
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Evna_uk wrote: David the XJ is similar to my own XJR but not the actual one I own, I think thats off some Jaguar promotional material online. Thanks again both, I'm sure there will be more to follow !!
Yours is a tad newer and way more powerful than my XJ.

As to acrylics, there are tons of brands and lots of opinions as to which are best. I haven't been impressed with the Humbrol acrylics myself so, if you try them, don't judge all acrylics based on those.

David
Evna_uk
starter kit

Post by Evna_uk »

Thanks for that David, will bear it in mind when trying out the Humbrol ones.

I think the image on my avatar was from the Jaguar site
Definately a 'Jag Lover' this one is my third...
Hey, nice marmot!

Return to “Finishing Tips”