Quick and easy paint filter

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Quick and easy paint filter

Post by flakmonkey »

One of the most annoying things that can happen when airbrushing is to have tiny lumps of paint clog the whole thing up. You can, of course, avoid this by filtering the paint. It's not very difficult to make your own paint filter with a few bits and pieces that many modellers have lying around.

The one I'm making here uses two short lengths of brass tubing and a piece of fine stainless steel mesh. The mesh came from a coffee pot we were throwing out. The tubing was 17/32" and 19/32" diameter brass.

I used a tube cutter to cut off two lengths of tubing. The smaller diameter tube is longer than the larger diameter piece. This makes life easier if you need to take the filter apart for cleaning or to fit a new screen.

Place the mesh over the large diameter tube, and push the smaller diameter tube into it to make an impression in the mesh.

Cut that out with scissors. You will end up with something like this…

Three or four wraps of Tamiya tape around the inner tube will take up any slack to stop it falling apart.

Now you just put it all together…

Job done. No more lumpy paint.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
iggie

Re: Quick and easy paint filter

Post by iggie »

Nice one! Very useful and will save me pinching Mrs iggie's stockings (well, at least for passing straining purposes anyway :grin: )
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
fredk

Re: Quick and easy paint filter

Post by fredk »

Nice one, ta for sharing.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Finishing Tips”