Panzer Grey for 1/72 scale

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
LarryH57
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Panzer Grey for 1/72 scale

Post by LarryH57 »

Has anyone got any suggestions for a correct mix for Panzer Grey used on Germany Army vehicles using Humbrol paint, especially for wheeled vehicles in 1/72 scale, as what I used as stock looks far too dark?
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Panzer Grey for 1/72 scale

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Humbrol used to make a range of authentic colours, one being HM4 German Panzer Grey. I have another Humbrol paint chart that recommends substituting 67 Matt Tank Grey. Hope this helps.

Nigel
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TobyC »

I'm pretty sure Mig Ammo do one for that scale
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

Isn't Humbrol 67 a bit dark in small scales?
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

It's equally dark in large scales. Colour is a physical phenomenon that is not dependent on size. Paint your fingernail with it or paint your house with it, the colour will be exactly the same.

Some folks believe that perception of colour depends on the size of the object. I don't personally agree, but "perception" is by definition a personal thing so, you know, if it looks right to you ....

Some proponents of "scale effect" seem to either ignore the effects of air (which is not perfectly transparent, and therefore affects the perception of colours over a distance) or alternatively feel that it's mandatory to incorporate that non-transparency because any "small" model must clearly be "further away". Of course any actual object that is made small by being a long way away has little to no distinguishing features, so spot colours, markings, and other small details should all be "washed out" if that's what you think your model is representing. Funnily enough, most proponents of "scale effect" are equal enthusiasts of "fine details carefully picked out" and never notice the inherent contradiction. Go figure.

The short answer to your question is that Hu67 is a decent representation of panzergrau and if you feel that it's "too dark" then it's up to you to decide how much to lighten it. Go with whatever works for you.

(Personally I prefer the Life Color shades.)
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

I have since found that the 400ml spray can of Panzer Grey from Plastic Soldier Company is a good match and especially useful for an overall finish in 1/72 scale

Return to “Finishing Tips”