Decal Softeners

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Decal Softeners

Post by JamesPerrin »

Does anyone have any experience of different decal softeners? I have Micro Sol but largely find it to be quite ineffective. I understand GS Mr Softener is "hot" and melts most decals (and sometimes paint) and I appear to only be able to get it delivered by courier. What about Revell and Tamiya's offerings? The former I can probably get hold of easily. The decals coursing issues of some ESCI/Italeri ones.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Decal Softeners

Post by iggie »

I've only ever used the Revell one and always found it easy to use and generally successful too. It has worked on both large and small decals alike from a variety of suppliers/makers so would recommend giving it a go especially if it's easy to get hold of.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

Silly question time - you mention microsol but you are using the other bottle as well aren't you? I find that microsol does work ok on its own at times, but brushing the other bottle of microset over once they are in place draws them down and onto the model. It can take a couple of applications
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I find the combination of MicroSol and MicroSet as directed usually works well. If I need something 'hotter' I try Mr Softener and SolvaSet in that order. SolvaSet is scary to watch as it often wrinkles the decals!!!

I keep meaning to try the technique where you wet the model with 'Future'/'Klear' and lay the decal onto the wet surface. Lots of people seem to have success with that drawing the decal down as the clear acrylic dries.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

chrism wrote:Silly question time - you mention microsol but you are using the other bottle as well aren't you?
Yes, Set is used under and over before the Sol is applied.

I often used Klear (other than for NMF) but you can get a bit of build up and the brush marks sometimes appear if it's take a while to get the decal in position.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

One really tough set of decals (Novo, I think) only went down in the end by pressing a hot damp cloth on them.

David
fredk

Post by fredk »

My usual is micro sol & set.
I tried the Humbrol one on a couple of kits. I wasn't too impressed with it. But I must use it again and give it a fair try.
I never had success with Klear except as a glue to stick down old decals which insisted on lifting or curling.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Micro Sol every time. It even manages to subdue Academy's hardest and most recalcitrant decals but it does need several applications to bring them to heel.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

TobyC wrote:Micro Sol every time. It even manages to subdue Academy's hardest and most recalcitrant decals but it does need several applications to bring them to heel.
I'm finding that, I've hit it every night this week and they have slowly settled down. The main problem is the roundels on the compound curve of a Harrier's intakes, I did slice them to help them form the slight cone required but initially they looked awful. They haven't yet sunk into the engraved details but I will keep persevering. I've also some Tamiya Mark Setter (found cheap) winging it's way to me.
59North

Post by 59North »

I'm no chemist, however, I believe most decal softeners are made with methoxy-propanol, which is used commercially as a paint stripper. Perhaps the strength of any given manufacturers decal setting solution depends on how much the solution is watered down.
I happen to like Walthers Solvaset very much. It can be brutal, however. I find that if it is applied sparingly and then left to dry without any interference, it works every time. True, it has a tendency to wrinkle the decals on application. But if left alone to do its work until absolutely dry, the decal flattens out and settles down nicely.

Return to “Finishing Tips”