Which airbrush to change too

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Which airbrush to change too

Post by billyb_imp »

I've been expecting this for sometime, after finishing with my airbrush yesterday I dismantled it for a good clean, but on reassembly I managed to sheer off the nozzle where it screws into the housing, luckily I have a spare airbrush exactly the same which I will be using for a while and I now have plenty of spares for it except for the nozzle & housing of course.

I have been thinking about changing to the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution or Ultimate Apex does anyone have any thoughts on these, or other choices.

The two I mentioned above appear to be easier to clean, breakdown / rebuild with bigger parts im less likely to break them.

A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Which airbrush to change too

Post by ShaunW »

In my opinion, Billy, an airbrush is like most tools - you get what you pay for. Personally I would avoid the cheap "knock off" types from places like ebay, which are usually inferior copies of better known makes. Yes, it is possible to buy one of the cheaper brushes and get years of fault free service from it but in my view it is more likely that you will get problems. If I was in the market my choice would be a gravity fed dual-action (where the trigger controls both the airflow and paint supply) model from the likes of Badger, Harder and Steenbeck or Iwata and I would be prepared for a price tag of at least £100 and wouldn't be surprised to have to pay £150 or above. My own airbrush is a Badger 100-GXF which has given fault free service now for well over 20 years (touching wood :grin: ). Everyone has their own opinions of course and no doubt with a thread of this nature you will get a few ideas thrown your way.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Finishing Tips”