Humbrol Paint dispensing.

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Barney68
Getting well comfy!

Humbrol Paint dispensing.

Post by Barney68 »

Hi everyone.
Anyone using Humbrol tinlets probably like me finds it tricky at best to pour the paint out of the tin without getting into some sort of mess, you know the sort of thing, running down the tin, running around the little trough where the lid goes etc.
My remedy probably isn't new but it works really well.
You need a large drinking straw, got these in Hobbycraft. Drill a hole through an old lid to fit the straw snugly, drill another hole slightly smaller opposite that hole. Cut a length of straw no more than 30mm and superglue it into the lid with about 4mm protruding through the underside of the lid. Allow to dry thoroughly. I've been using this one for 12 months now and white spirit doesn't hurt the superglue.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :grin:
Barney68
Getting well comfy!

Re: Humbrol Paint dispensing.

Post by Barney68 »

I'll just say to mix the paint well, I use an electric paint stirrer, keep the smaller hole uppermost as you pour the paint into a mixing jar, this allows the air in.
I drop the pouring lid into a jar of white spirit to clean ready for next colour.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :grin:
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

a most excellent idea
beats my mustard spoon
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Pmarsh
starter kit

Post by Pmarsh »

I have always used eye droppers to get paint out of my tins. Don't think I've ever tried pouring out of the tin, for exactly the reason you've noted. You can get them on eBay cheap and they will last a long time. I just flush them a few times in the thinner bottle to get them somewhat clean.
I also use plain old zinc plated nuts (from hardware store) in each tin to act as agitators. I have seen small stainless ball bearings used as well but they are pricier. Combined with an old badger paint shaker works great. I've got tins from 20+ years ago and most are still fine.
Britwit
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Britwit »

The last tin I bought a week ago had to be spooned out of the tin. It was nothing but lumps of substance resembling a dried up wallboard paste. I was a big fan of Humbrol but lately I have no use for their product. Sorry I am of no help.
1964-2024- too many years, too many glue fumes!

Return to “Finishing Tips”