Acrylic or Enamel? Which paint/brand do you prefer and why?

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
MerlinJones

Re: Acrylic or Enamel? Which paint/brand do you prefer and w

Post by MerlinJones »

To counter the acrylicophiles, I still prefer enamels. Using thinners to wash brushes has never been an issue and, perhaps, because I know I have to properly clean the brushes, I then take better care when doing so.
I'm a bearer of the Hairy Stick, so the advantages of spraying acrylics and the ease with which an airbrush can then be cleaned, doesnt bother me.

Acrylics' swiftness of drying is a disadvantage for brush painting, resulting in streaks. I know there are chemical additives available to delay this, but why bother? I'm sure that if I used acrylics more regularly, I'd become acclimatised to the better thinning ratios, to facilitate better brush painting.

Enamels, to my mind, cover the best and are the hardest wearing. They are not affected by Klear, or any water-based solutions.

However, I will use acrylics for internal work. This usually involves only small areas to cover and the rapid drying time means that I can paint up a cockpit and pilot fairly quickly and move onto fuselage closure.

For metallics, I still enjoy the Humbrol metalcotes, particular the aluminium ad polished aluminium.
Otherwise, I'm now a fan of the Gunze Mr.Metalcolor, with which I remain very happy, due to coverage, quick drying and the ability to pile on extra coats and the effect a variety of buffing can achieve.

For clear coats, besides Klear, I remain with the Humbrol Mattcote and Satincote. Provided each of these has been properly stirred, shaken and stirred again, I get consistent results.

Regards,
Bruce
Mikeew
Active Participant

Post by Mikeew »

Concur with Bruce about brush painting, enamels are the way to go. Xtracolour and WEM enamels can be a bit hit and miss though in my experience. Humbrol and Revell enamels are great, though Revell enamels can be a bit on the thick side sometimes, nothing a drop of thinners won't sort though tbh.
I too have never successfully brush painted acrylics, only the older Humbrol acrylics with some success being the exception. Though these are no longer available. Tamiya and Gunze acrylic can be brush painted with care, though retarders can be useful in delaying the drying time, but it is all a bit of a faff.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

To add further to Mikes comments, the Xtracolour paints are clearly designed with airbrushing in mind and, with brush painting, in my experience they take absolutely ages to dry...literally weeks in some cases.
I also concur with Mike re the thickness of Revell enamels and would add that they are rarely referred to by other model manufacturers. Even in Revell kits themselves, the colours you need usually have to be mixed. One Revell I use repeatedly, however, is Revell 9...'Anthracite', which I use for tyres and such, although H67 and occasionally H66 make a reasonable substitute.

Regards,
Bruce
Ural
Active Participant

Post by Ural »

Well, I got a lot of paints, since I live i na part of the world where is very hard to find kits... imagine paints!!!! :evil:

So, each time I can, I order paints (I need to go psychologist!) :shock:

I got, xtracolor, xtracrilic, Tamiya, Gunze, Testors, Modelmaster, Humbrol, lifecolor, agama, Alclad, Pollyscale, one Italian that I can´t remember the name just now, and some more...

My choice are divided, and it deppends on what I need to do!

I use a lot Tamiya and Gunze, because they are the most easily available, tamiya are almost "mistake free" you can even spit it over the kit... and the paint after dry looks perfect! Gunze have a wide color range, and recently try xtracrilics and life color.

Xtracrilic as usual has perfect colours, and life color is too expensive for me (from the places I order), and I got only rust set.

In the other hand, I must say that, Tamiya are only "close colors, and not exact match, but this is looong and hardly discusses after weathering procces etc.

I recently order Agama, but only to test.

I like the quick dry of the acrylics, and the possibility of extense weathering with oil color etc.

BUT, as I really like to free hand airbrush, when I need to make really small camo example Me 109E tropical, I use xtracolor! I consider it the BEST airbrush paint ever, and if you need to paint really small controled dots or lines... this is THE paint!

Metallics: I like the testor so much, I got but don´t try yet ALCLAD, I like gunze Mr colours, metalcotes for hand brush and the OLD 11 from Humbrol!!!!!

This is xtracolor freehand badger 100

And this is xtracolor freehand too!

And again!

But this is Tamiya plus life color ONLY, fuel stain is oil, mud in the shovel is pigment.

Testors metallizer plus interior green xtracolor, and olive drab xtracolor.

But in this case I use Xtracrilic as basic colors, Tamiya as working color, Gunze to make efects in EDSG, and little touch of xtracolor in the sky, because I like the shade! sealed with acrylic varnish, and the weathering with oils! and the matt black, is THE ONLY ONE Humbrol!

Regards to all

Henry
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Post by Zane »

As a car builder with no air brush, it's Humbrol Enamels for me: best for deep, rich gloss finish and better for brush painting. They also give a finish that can be handled without worry (except possibly body trim strips of silver 11, but I always 'seal' these with clear gloss varnish).

Also, I love the smell when dry! (I must be weird!)

Zane
"..and though we be on the far side of the World, this ship is home; this ship is England..."
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

It is the right type of paint for the job really. When I used to use a brush I would prefer enamels, easier to work with, better coverage I would then use a light grade sandpaper to sand out the brush strokes which gives an airbrush effect.

With an airbrush, finish wise either come out fine but arcrylics are easier to clean and don't produce as much mist as enamels can.

I generally use Tamiya and Gunze for arcrylics and Humbrol and Xtracolour for enamels.

Useless info - I still have a couple of bottles of Tamiya from the 80's when they use bottles twice the size they use now.
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

I used Revell acrylic first time. Aluminium and steel color for my Airfix Banshee, I use brush.
Who used the airbrush with acrylic Revell?
I use isopropyl alcohol as a solvent for the paint for Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo.
This OK for Revell, or only water, how Revell recommended?

maybe vodka? This drink some russian modeller use how solvent for Tamiya acrylic pain....
Who have experience?

Return to “Finishing Tips”