Klear vs Microsol/set

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
nightrider2k
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: Klear vs Microsol/set

Post by nightrider2k »

Hi all,
Unfortunately I'm a late starter as far as the use of 'Klear' is concerned, however, I've monitored a lot of forum posts regarding this and appreciate that the 'old' Klear product is no longer available in the UK.
I've used the 'Pledge Klear' (the milky coloured one) for a while now, and it appears to mimic, what the old stuff did (to a certain extent), so have stuck to it.
I've seen bottles of the old Klear on ebay for up to £20 :shock:
Whilst I've been looking around the department stores, I've been on the lookout for alternatives, and have recently found this in our local B&Q DIY store:-
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?i ... an&x=0&y=0;
it only cost £2.48!
Now I've used this on a couple of recent builds and it appears to be doing the same job.
The product has no colouring, so is a clear liquid and dries to a hard shiny finish on both paintwork and canopies. It has a kind on amonia smell to it.
For all you chemists out there that know what the heck these are, here's some of the ingredients (incase you can match them up with any of the active ingredients that makes Klear what it is) = Polyacrylate Polymer; Glycol Ether Solvent; Nonionicsurfactants; Bromo; Nitropropane; Diol Chloromethylisothiazolone; Methylisothiazolone.
I'd be interested if anyone else has tried this, or maybe you guys that have a lot of experience in the use of Klear could do a comparison test and let us all know......for the sake od £2.48 surely its worth a test, to find that elusive cheapo Klear replacement?
Regards
Boz
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

nightrider2k wrote:Hi all,
Unfortunately I'm a late starter as far as the use of 'Klear' is concerned, however, I've monitored a lot of forum posts regarding this and appreciate that the 'old' Klear product is no longer available in the UK.
I've used the 'Pledge Klear' (the milky coloured one) for a while now, and it appears to mimic, what the old stuff did (to a certain extent), so have stuck to it.
I've seen bottles of the old Klear on ebay for up to £20 :shock:
Whilst I've been looking around the department stores, I've been on the lookout for alternatives, and have recently found this in our local B&Q DIY store:-
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?i ... an&x=0&y=0;
it only cost £2.48!
Now I've used this on a couple of recent builds and it appears to be doing the same job.
The product has no colouring, so is a clear liquid and dries to a hard shiny finish on both paintwork and canopies. It has a kind on amonia smell to it.
For all you chemists out there that know what the heck these are, here's some of the ingredients (incase you can match them up with any of the active ingredients that makes Klear what it is) = Polyacrylate Polymer; Glycol Ether Solvent; Nonionicsurfactants; Bromo; Nitropropane; Diol Chloromethylisothiazolone; Methylisothiazolone.
I'd be interested if anyone else has tried this, or maybe you guys that have a lot of experience in the use of Klear could do a comparison test and let us all know......for the sake od £2.48 surely its worth a test, to find that elusive cheapo Klear replacement?
Hi Boz

It's probably designed to do much the same thing, although from the look of the spray bottle, it's a much thinner consistency than Klear/Future/Pledge, which is more viscous than water.

Polyacrylate polymer (the clear coat) is the same general class of ingredient as in Klear/Future/Pledge, which also contains glycol ether as a solvent. The nonionic surfactants are surface tension reducing agents (like soaps) which means that it spreads out on surfaces instead of forming droplets.

Based on what you have said, it's probably intended to do much the same thing to floors, and so it should work on plastic models too. It might not be quite as good at taking out scratches on transparencies though, as it will probably form a thinner film on the surface. You might need multiple coats to do the biz.

Why don't you post a few pictures of your builds using this stuff, so we can see how it looks?

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

nightrider2k wrote:Polyacrylate Polymer; Glycol Ether Solvent; Nonionicsurfactants; Bromo; Nitropropane; Diol Chloromethylisothiazolone; Methylisothiazolone.
Bromo???? :shock:
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

flakmonkey wrote:
nightrider2k wrote:Polyacrylate Polymer; Glycol Ether Solvent; Nonionicsurfactants; Bromo; Nitropropane; Diol Chloromethylisothiazolone; Methylisothiazolone.
Bromo???? :shock:
Hopefully bromine attached to one of the ingedients, and not our good friend Bromo :ha:

Unless he's moonlighting as a nonionic surfactant :mrgreen: :ha:
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Finishing Tips”