Andrea Flesh Paint Set

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
glen3312
Getting well comfy!

Andrea Flesh Paint Set

Post by glen3312 »

A couple of years ago i bought the above set at Farnborough I.P.M.S, the thing is i still cant use it properly, what does 1st light, 2nd base and 1st shadow mean etc, how are they applied ?? airbrush , drybrushing or a wash ?? and in what order ?? any clues would be most helpful. thanks in advance :)
Paul-H
starter kit

Re: Andrea Flesh Paint Set

Post by Paul-H »

Hi

Basicaly

1st & 2nd base are used to set the basic skin tone, so 1st if modelling light skin and 2nd if modelling darker skin, remember all can be mixed together to give a custom mix

1st & 2nd Light is for highlight use

1st & 2nd Shadow is for shadow use

They can be both brushed and airbrushed, just thin the paint to a skimmed mild consistancy,

What I do is apply the base coat then add shadows to the bottom of the eye socket, under the nose, under the chin, the lines from nose to lips, the cheaks and lips, then I add the highlights to the forhead, top of the nose, tip of the chin and top of the cheak bones. Keep the mix for shadows and highlights thinner than the base coat mix and the automatical blend thenselves.

I only paint 1/35 by the way so if you paint bigger you will be able to add more steps and if you paint small you will be able to drop some of the steps.

Hope this has been of help.

Paul
glen3312
Getting well comfy!

Post by glen3312 »

hi Paul, many thanks i have asked this question a couple of times before on other forums and yours is by far the best answer i have had. what im not to sure of is how you actually apply the shadows/highlights ? do you actually paint them on or drybrush them ? hope that makes sense. cheers :beer:
Paul-H
starter kit

Post by Paul-H »

Hi

What I do is just mix the Highlight/Shadow paint slightly thinner than the base coat, I then find that as long as I have not left the base coat too long so that it is dry but not hardened all I do is apply the paint, (don’t overload the brush though) as it dries it then blends itself with the lower base coat.

If the base coat has hardened then apply the paint and then blend with a soft dry brush.

Its difficult to explain but I hope you get the drift.

If painting 1/35th you will be surprised how little you have to do to get a good result.

Hope this has been of help

Paul
glen3312
Getting well comfy!

Post by glen3312 »

hi Paul, thanks that makes sense, :beer:

Return to “Finishing Tips”