Brushes

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Motley
Active Participant

Brushes

Post by Motley »

When it comes to painting brushes are important of course, of i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a good set of brushes to buy as i wish to invest in a good set as at the moment i only have a few little brushes ive got from starter sets and the like. Any help will be greatly appricated :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
MerlinJones

Re: Brushes

Post by MerlinJones »

You can get all sorts of recommenmdations and set out to buy half a dozen or more brushes. Chances are, you'll mainly use two, or maybe three of what you buy. I bet we all have, (or have had), a favourite brush that we used for all paintwork,. at one time or another.

For 'proper' brush painting, especially of larger areas, you need chisel- or flat-tipped brushes. These come on a vaiety of widths, but I manage with a 1cm and a 1/2 cm. I do have a 2cm, but am yet to use it.
Coming down for general painting, I use pointed brushes and my current favourite forms a point small enough to paint pilots, but big enough to paint cockpits, interiors and such like. (I can't tell you the size, 'cos it's worn off the brush!)

As for makes, the Humbrol chisel-edged are good, if you can find them.
Revell brushes tend to be what you pay for, with a tendency to lose their points and for the bristles to splay out. They also seem to have a habit of losing bristles.

Winsor & Newton, sable and synthetic blend, seem to work for me. They aren't the cheapest, but they can take a lot of misuse and still keep their shape. Well worth the money, although you can end up paying artshop prices for them.

You can sometimes re-point brushes, by using washing up liquid and leaving them to 'set' overnight and it should go without saying, (but I'll say it anyway), that looking after your brushes is a habit worth cultivating.

Regards,
Bruce
glen3312
Getting well comfy!

Post by glen3312 »

Have you got a Hobbycraft shop near you? they have sets in there from £10-£20 which seem to be reasonably good value, they also have a large range of individual brushes which go from £1.50-£4 . also you have the advantage of being able to pick them up and have a good look at them which you cant do on the internet, i have bought some right dodgy ones in the past like that.
Also have you an Art shop nearby? they will be a lot more knowledgable than Hobbycraft when its comes to recommending the best brushes for Acrylics and Enamels.
When it comes to makes you cant go far wrong with Windsor & Newtons, hope that helps.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

This has some great information in it. Thanks guys
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

I second dirks comment, great info there will have to pop in the hobbycraft i have near by and see what i can pick up, thanks :D
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII

Return to “Finishing Tips”