using .5mm masking tape question

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
shannography
starter kit

using .5mm masking tape question

Post by shannography »

Hello everyone. I have spent some time looking through posts here and doing a search but haven't yet been able to find an answer to a question I have.

Currently, I am building a 1:800 Titanic. I was so happy to find out there is masking tape in .5, .75, 1mm widths so I could tackle the yellow stripe on the hull. Someone who builds model cars told me about Jammydog tape. (I am using .5mm for this scale.)

The problem is now that I am attempting to mask my hull, I'm having a lot of problems getting the tape in the right position, even just dealing with it in general.

Does anyone have any tips about how to handle very thin masking tape to make a smooth, very long stripe? I have sprayed the yellow onto the hull and now I need to mask it so I can spray it black. The problems I am having is controlling the very fine masking tape, especially in long lengths. I then tried to use short lengths but then you have the problem of trying to overlap precisely, which is also very difficult.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: using .5mm masking tape question

Post by AndrewR »

Welcome to the forum Shannography. :)

I must admit that when I do fine lines, I use two pieces of 9 mm wide masking tape to define the line. It's just easier to keep everything straight!

Then for a yellow line on a dark background, a quick coat of white or sand coloured primer, and then the yellow.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

In additioin to what Andrew has said, I use one of two tricks.

First put marks on the hull to guide the path of the tape.

Then:
Anchor the tape at the bow and pull a long strip all the way back then lay it on against the marks; adjust as needed. Works best for long narrow hulls.
Or:
Run a strip of broader tape, even pieces thereof, along (say) the top of where the yellow stripe will go. When you are happy with that, you can use it as a guide to place your very thin tape -- then pull up the broader tape.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

When I'm doing long pin striping masking like you mention, I have the model securely positioned, no wobbles allowed, then I have a longer length than I need of tape, I'll put one end of the tape on the model hold it with one hand/finger, then hold tension on the tape so it's not touching the model and slowly bring it down, sighting along it towards the end that is being held on the model, once I'm happy with the alignment I'll lightly touch the tape down, then move and check the alignment form the side, if it's not down correctly I hold the first end and lift the tape and repeat until I'm happy..

The sighting along the length it is the point here, rather than at right angles to the surface, it gives you a shorter length to align.

Cheers
Jim
shannography
starter kit

Post by shannography »

Thanks for the welcome and for the suggestions. I just completed the task. The winning trick that worked for me this morning was what Jim suggested. Onwards and upwards! :-)

Return to “Finishing Tips”