Airbrush question

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airbrush question

Post by Old_Tonto »

I have read through the Q & A for airbrush advice which is all very good advice. I am confident i can clean my brush after a spray session but I was just wondering how you guys clean your air brush between colours?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Airbrush question

Post by AndrewR »

I only use Vallejo water based acrylics, so I usually spray soapy water through it, wipe the cup with tissue and then more water.

If the two colours are quite similar and the cup is empty, I don't bother cleaning, just spray a bit on a test paper until the new colour comes through. :-D

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Post by fearless frankie »

At the end of a session of spraying (acrylics only) a strip down and wash parts in warm soappy water
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I spray through thinner/cleaner until it consistently comes through clear and I also swap cups - I'll clean a cup thoroughly before putting a fresh colour in it...using a pipe cleaner to make sure there is no residue, perhaps partly cured in the stem...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

For colour changes: spray the colour out, wipe out cup with a cloth, part fill with thinner/cleaner, back flush then tip out, repeat a few times until no colour comes back, and add next colour.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Between acrylic paints, I spray some alcohol through the brush until it comes out clear, then remove the alcohol and spray air through to clear out the alcohol.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Oh...so you're meant to use the alcohol on the brush not the brusher? Bin doing that wrong... :ha:
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Jagewa wrote:For colour changes: spray the colour out, wipe out cup with a cloth, part fill with thinner/cleaner, back flush then tip out, repeat a few times until no colour comes back, and add next colour.
Is 'back flush' where you cover the end of the airbrush with your finger & give it a squirt of air?

Where is the best place to get pipe cleaners in the UK?
Current Projects:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Old_Tonto wrote: Where is the best place to get pipe cleaners in the UK?
Try Dyno-rod :ha:

Seriously, I'd get a set of nylon brushes of different diameters. They are very good at removing crud and can be washed and reused. And they're very cheap.

Search EBay for " airbrush cleaning kit". You should find sets of the brushes for a couple of quid or so.

Cheers

Andrew
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Careful with pipe cleaners.
There are some that could substitute for a file -- get 'em soft and small.
Next, before use, run them through your fingers to pull off/out any stray fuzz -- does no good to clean out the paint but leave the fuzz inside.
Highly recommend a set of little plastic micro brushes, they don't shed and do get into smaller places.

I switch between enamel & acrylic. I got into the habit of field stripping my brush after every use and paint/color change. Overkill I know, but I have it down to a few minutes & almost can do it blindfolded ... I have a 2nd airbrush to hook up as soon as I get a new regulator & some pipe pieces, then I'll have a brush each for enamel or acrylic and probably can modify my cleaning process.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

jRatz wrote:Careful with pipe cleaners.
There are some that could substitute for a file -- get 'em soft and small.
Next, before use, run them through your fingers to pull off/out any stray fuzz -- does no good to clean out the paint but leave the fuzz inside.
Highly recommend a set of little plastic micro brushes, they don't shed and do get into smaller places.

I switch between enamel & acrylic. I got into the habit of field stripping my brush after every use and paint/color change. Overkill I know, but I have it down to a few minutes & almost can do it blindfolded ... I have a 2nd airbrush to hook up as soon as I get a new regulator & some pipe pieces, then I'll have a brush each for enamel or acrylic and probably can modify my cleaning process.
I have a little ultrasonic bath, so I field strip the airbrush after every session (and if I'm making a radical change of colour) and clean it with distilled water with a little wshing up liquid in it. It takes 5 minutes, 3 minutes of which is the zapping in the bath. Not much different from cleaning brushes properly.

cheers

Andrew
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Old_Tonto wrote:
Jagewa wrote:For colour changes: spray the colour out, wipe out cup with a cloth, part fill with thinner/cleaner, back flush then tip out, repeat a few times until no colour comes back, and add next colour.
Is 'back flush' where you cover the end of the airbrush with your finger & give it a squirt of air?
Yep that's what I meant.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Cheers guys. No problems so far. :lol:
Current Projects:

Return to “Finishing Tips”